Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Airport Extreme Killing My Broadband Slow Streaming

#1 User is offline   angler021 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

I'm stumped. I have an iMac (27' 2011 model). I've been using a Cisco E4200V2 router. My ISP is GCI, supplying 15Mbps via cable modem. I'm running the latest software on the iMac and router. I'm only getting at best 7 Mbps from the router to the iMac, wired or wireless delivers the same speed. I switched to an Airport Extreme yesterday thinking it might be a router issue, but am getting the same result. Streaming YouTube videos to my Apple TV2 is so slow it is unusable. I've tried switching from my ISP's DNS servers to both Google and OpenDNS with no success. I'm running on the 5MHz network in the 40 channels. That provides better throughput (5-7 Mbps) than automatic, which typically drops it to less than 2 Mbps. We have no cordless phones in the house, and the router is downstairs at the opposite end of the house from the microwave. I'm at a loss. Anyone got any ideas?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

View Postangler021, on 08 November 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

I'm stumped. I have an iMac (27' 2011 model). I've been using a Cisco E4200V2 router. My ISP is GCI, supplying 15Mbps via cable modem. I'm running the latest software on the iMac and router. I'm only getting at best 7 Mbps from the router to the iMac, wired or wireless delivers the same speed. I switched to an Airport Extreme yesterday thinking it might be a router issue, but am getting the same result. Streaming YouTube videos to my Apple TV2 is so slow it is unusable. I've tried switching from my ISP's DNS servers to both Google and OpenDNS with no success. I'm running on the 5MHz network in the 40 channels. That provides better throughput (5-7 Mbps) than automatic, which typically drops it to less than 2 Mbps. We have no cordless phones in the house, and the router is downstairs at the opposite end of the house from the microwave. I'm at a loss. Anyone got any ideas?

When you say your ISP is "supplying 15Mbps via cable modem", do you mean that you are paying for 15 Mbps, but have not verified it in some manner? Or do you mean that when you hook the iMac directly to the cable modem (i.e. no router), you do actually get 15 Mbps?

Basically, I am trying to determine if there is some scenario where you actually do get 15 Mbps...and if so, what is that scenario.

This post has been edited by smax013: 09 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users