Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Upgrading Computer, Time Machine and Migration questions - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Upgrading Computer, Time Machine and Migration questions

#1 User is offline   Kela46 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have purchased a 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Being delivered next week. I am upgrading from an old MacBook that is running Snow Leopard. A few questions regarding Time Machine and Migration.

--------------1---------------

I was told that the only way I can keep using (meaning "adding to" and also "accessing") my current Time Machine backup is to use Time Machine to "restore" your new computer, as opposed to using Migration Assistant or Setup Assistant. Is this true?

--------------2---------------

Not sure which is best for migrating to new computer: Migration Assistant, Setup Assistant, or Time Machine restore. My current laptop is really quite messed up, I am getting kernel panics several times a day and I don't really want to bring anything over that might be causing this. Is it better to just re-install all of my apps, and slowly bring over files I need from my backups?

--------------3---------------

If it IS possible to restore my new computer from my current Snow Leopard Time Machine, what do I do about the difference in storage space? Old Time Machine backup is 343G, new Flash storage is only 256G. I assume you can pick and choose what to "restore" and I can leave off something large, like photos or music, and just put that on an external.

As I said, I have a Time Machine backup that is current, an old Super Duper back up, and I also back up with Carbonite. I am fairly sure I have everything I need somewhere. But I always anticipate problems with setup. Thanks for any help you can give me.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostKela46, on 08 November 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

I have purchased a 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Being delivered next week. I am upgrading from an old MacBook that is running Snow Leopard. A few questions regarding Time Machine and Migration.

I was told that the only way I can keep using (meaning "adding to" and also "accessing") my current Time Machine backup is to use Time Machine to "restore" your new computer, as opposed to using Migration Assistant or Setup Assistant. Is this true?

Not sure which is best for migrating to new computer: Migration Assistant, Setup Assistant, or Time Machine restore. My current laptop is really quite messed up, I am getting kernel panics several times a day and I don't really want to bring anything over that might be causing this. Is it better to just re-install all of my apps, and slowly bring over files I need from my backups?

If it IS possible to restore my new computer from my current Snow Leopard Time Machine, what do I do about the difference in storage space? Old Time Machine backup is 343G, new Flash storage is only 256G. I assume you can pick and choose what to "restore" and I can leave off something large, like photos or music, and just put that on an external.

As I said, I have a Time Machine backup that is current, an old Super Duper back up, and I also back up with Carbonite. I am fairly sure I have everything I need somewhere. But I always anticipate problems with setup. Thanks for any help you can give me.

This might answer your first question:

http://www.macworld....ac_in_lion.html

The implication is that you could fully setup the new computer by using say Migration Assistant and THEN attach your current Time Machine backup disk and use the existing Time Machine backup with the new computer.

As to setting up the new computer in general, I personally typically use Migration Assistant, but then I have not yet "migrated" from a computer with more storage to a new computer with less storage (I kind of did when I installed an SSD in my MBP, but kept the 1 TB hard drive as storage by using the optical drive bay for one drive...in that case, I had Migration Assistant ONLY copy system settings and applications...no files). I believe you have fairly decent "granular" control over what copies over in Migration Assistant, but I really don't recall (it has been a while).

What you might want to do is use Migration Assistant to "migrate" the system settings and applications and then look to use the Time Machine backup to restore what files you want (using the method in the link above). Of course, if you are worried about copying over "problems", you might want instead to just re-install all applications from scratch and set up all settings yourself and THEN restore what data files you want from the Time Machine backup.

#3 User is offline   Kela46 

• Pip

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

View Postsmax013, on 09 November 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

View PostKela46, on 08 November 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

This might answer your first question:

http://www.macworld....ac_in_lion.html

The implication is that you could fully setup the new computer by using say Migration Assistant and THEN attach your current Time Machine backup disk and use the existing Time Machine backup with the new computer.

As to setting up the new computer in general, I personally typically use Migration Assistant, but then I have not yet "migrated" from a computer with more storage to a new computer with less storage (I kind of did when I installed an SSD in my MBP, but kept the 1 TB hard drive as storage by using the optical drive bay for one drive...in that case, I had Migration Assistant ONLY copy system settings and applications...no files). I believe you have fairly decent "granular" control over what copies over in Migration Assistant, but I really don't recall (it has been a while).

What you might want to do is use Migration Assistant to "migrate" the system settings and applications and then look to use the Time Machine backup to restore what files you want (using the method in the link above). Of course, if you are worried about copying over "problems", you might want instead to just re-install all applications from scratch and set up all settings yourself and THEN restore what data files you want from the Time Machine backup.

Thank you smax. Very helpful.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users