• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

Post your comments for Mac 101: Diving into menus, part 3 here

#2 User is offline   MacAdvocate 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

I've been writing about Apple for a couple of years now, and I'm always amazed at the things I can learn from taking the time to read these "intro" type articles. I can see the default view of "All My Files" in any folder using the "Arrange by" menu? I guess I never put 2 and 2 together.

Great series, Chris!

#3 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostMacAdvocate, on 15 November 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I've been writing about Apple for a couple of years now, and I'm always amazed at the things I can learn from taking the time to read these "intro" type articles. I can see the default view of "All My Files" in any folder using the "Arrange by" menu? I guess I never put 2 and 2 together.

Great series, Chris!

Thank you. It's a very interesting exercise for me -- explaining the Mac OS from beginning to end with the idea that the reader knows nothing. Makes you carefully examine your assumptions.

#4 User is offline   JerryNaples 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I want to add my appreciation of your set of articles that was expressed by MacAdvocate. These are outstanding articles that I make sure our entire MUG (Naples MacFriends User Group) have access to.

Please continue

AND I hope that when OS 10.9 starts rumbling as a future product that you have the energy (and management support) to update Mac 101

As an aside, your video conference with NMUG and your courses on Lynda are highly valued by our 500 member MUG

President NMUG

#5 User is offline   Petew 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Chris,
these kind of articles are to me the essence of what Macworld is al about, learn to improve our working with the Mac. Many articles nowadays seem to focus on more peripheral elements of the platform, which although sometimes relevant take the focus away from our first object, the Mac (now also including the phones, pods and pads). A lot if not most of the information on the secondary if not tertiary subjects (like cameras, patent litigation, and other electronic brands) I can find elsewhere on the net. I hope Macworld stays more true to its original commitment like these articles and manages to develop it's own distinct presence rather than the run of the mill website drone at present. thanks again for your contributions.

#6 User is online   edesigned 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi Chris

I too wish to thank you for this clearly thought out and presented series. That Macworld stays focussed on Mac platform is great for me, and I've been a Mac users since the late 80s, so it must be a huge benefit to newcomers. Your presentation is bright and to the point. Corporate litigation I can find all over the web, and rumours abound as well, but very few sites are this specific. Well done Macworld! I also enjoy the Macworld podcasts. Thx\ Edward

#7 User is offline   mschmitt 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

I'd love an explanation of exactly what VIew Options "Always open in ..." and "Browse in ..." do. It changed in Lion. And why oh why does Lion keep resetting my carefully positioned icons?

It keeps changing the icon size, grid spacing and sort back to some default, but I can't figure out what triggers the reset. I think it has something to do with the View Options. Or a bug. Whatever, it drives me nuts.

#8 User is offline   Petew 

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'd love an explanation of exactly what VIew Options "Always open in ..." and "Browse in ..." do. It changed in Lion. And why oh why does Lion keep resetting my carefully positioned icons? It keeps changing the icon size, grid spacing and sort back to some default, but I can't figure out what triggers the reset. I think it has something to do with the View Options. Or a bug. Whatever, it drives me nuts.

Are you using a desktop or laptop?
On my laptop I sometimes accidentally hit the trackpad making changes to the size of the icons for instance. In the System Prefs under Trackpad there's a setting to prevent accidental Trackpad input. Have you checked this?

#9 User is offline   mschmitt 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'd love an explanation of exactly what VIew Options "Always open in ..." and "Browse in ..." do. It changed in Lion. And why oh why does Lion keep resetting my carefully positioned icons? It keeps changing the icon size, grid spacing and sort back to some default, but I can't figure out what triggers the reset. I think it has something to do with the View Options. Or a bug. Whatever, it drives me nuts. Are you using a desktop or laptop? On my laptop I sometimes accidentally hit the trackpad making changes to the size of the icons for instance. In the System Prefs under Trackpad there's a setting to prevent accidental Trackpad input. Have you checked this?

I have Lion on my Laptop, but that isn't it.

Let's say I have the Applications folder tailored: icon view, a smaller icon size than the default, icons positioned in particular places.

It will be fine for a day or so but suddenly it will change to sorted by name, back to the big icon size, but the grid size has not changed, resulting in overlapping icons.

It is like the Finder is tossing out the desktop file and starting over, except for the mismatch between the icon size and the grid size.

And it does NOT do this on Snow Leopard.

#10 User is offline   Petew 

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like a ds.store file corruption in Lion.

If your good with the Terminal app, check this article:

Remove .Ds_Store Files on Mac Os X

http://www.wikihow.c...les-on-Mac-Os-X

From that website:
The Finder automatically places a .DS_Store file into every folder you have opened. .DS_Store files are created by the Finder during its normal course of operation however these files are hidden from the view of the user.
These files are used to save the positions of icons, the size of the respective Finder window, the window's background, and many more view options.
.DS_Store files can become corrupted causing unusual behavior by the finder when you open certain folders such as the finder window blinking open and then closing, inability to see some icons, inability to sort icons, or inability to change the view options.

If not, try this free utility:

DS_Store Cleaner

http://software.ryan...dsstorecleaner/

Hope this helps.

#11 User is offline   cosmojr 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I like to view my files by "kind" but I can not get it to arrange them alphabetically. Is it possible? It seems to be arranged by last used.
I love your articles, thanks

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users