• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Daily: Bereft of basic logic here

#2 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

"If the company had Apple over such a big barrel, why was it charging them cut-rate prices in the first place?"

It's November 15th. Prices are set at the beginning of the year (as the linked article states). How do you know, dear Macalope, that Samsung hasn't already been selling at high prices AND is increasing them on 1/1/2013?
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#3 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

It's November 15th. Prices are set at the beginning of the year (as the linked article states).

Hmm - I guess you have never heard of multi year contracts?

How do you know, dear Macalope, that Samsung hasn't already been selling at high prices AND is increasing them on 1/1/2013?

Samsung flatly denied it?

Remember, this is the company that only releases numbers of shipped devices and refuses to talk about returns - they have no problem, like any other company, spinning numbers to suit their purposes.

It also points to the Apple/Samsung relationship being more complex - and adult - than the press and blogosphere like to portray - UK "apology" incident aside. And as for the UK incident, I think that was Apple more poking the court than Samsung. After all it was a rediculous ruling deserving of ridicule.

#4 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

It's November 15th. Prices are set at the beginning of the year (as the linked article states). Hmm - I guess you have never heard of multi year contracts? How do you know, dear Macalope, that Samsung hasn't already been selling at high prices AND is increasing them on 1/1/2013? Samsung flatly denied it? Remember, this is the company that only releases numbers of shipped devices and refuses to talk about returns - they have no problem, like any other company, spinning numbers to suit their purposes. It also points to the Apple/Samsung relationship being more complex - and adult - than the press and blogosphere like to portray - UK "apology" incident aside. And as for the UK incident, I think that was Apple more poking the court than Samsung. After all it was a rediculous ruling deserving of ridicule.

Hey, I hope it's not true, but...

"The unnamed official noted that prices are set at the beginning of the year and aren't changed easily."

Since the official is unnamed, it's not an official response by Samsung either. Also, the "weasel wording" of "prices are set at the beginning of the year" is not consistent with "prices are set for the term of the contract", or the contract could be up for renewal, renegotiation, or re-evaluation.

Still, all this has prompted a massive investment by Apple into Sharp. However you cut it, war (especially "thermonuclear") has it's costs. The only way to have even an indication of the truth is that prices will go up or profit per unit will go down.

This post has been edited by ingus: 15 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#5 User is offline   Quadrat 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Oh, Macalope! How can you doubt my fealty? Even when you provide the links I never click them. Who needs the aggravation? My trust in you is complete.

#6 User is offline   DWFields 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Anyone care to let Apple know there's a major chip-fabrication company testing the market for buyers? Not much of a secret, either; it's Intel's direct competitor--AMD.

#7 User is offline   AdamC 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Anyone care to let Apple know there's a major chip-fabrication company testing the market for buyers? Not much of a secret, either; it's Intel's direct competitor--AMD.

Many of us have stop buying cows to get fresh milk.

#8 User is offline   MarkJReed5jau 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Apple is making their own (ARM) chips for iOS, rumors point to these chips being used for other devices as well.

#9 User is offline   ZPedro 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

In your defense, Mr Macalope, the baby was being kind of a dick.
(ref: http://penny-arcade....omic/2003/12/03 )

(guys, I don't understand the AMD stuff: AMD is now fabless so no point for Apple, unless you're talking of GlobalFoundries? Anyway, makes much better sense for Apple to simply switch their business from Samsung to, say, TSMC.)

#10 User is offline   midorosan 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:01 AM

It is just so good to have the Lope back never have I been so grateful to "[Due to technical issues The Macalope is currently available to all Macworld readers, not just members of Macworld Insider.]" long may they continue.
As to the Richard Cranium under discussion here why waste our collective breath.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users