• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:30 AM

Post your comments for 6 tips for getting more from your Apple TV here

#2 User is offline   gk_brown 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

Maybe I'm just overly familiar with the Apple TV, but all of these suggestions seem really obvious.

I'm also not a big fan of the Remote app. In my opinion, the user experience is poor. You're better off just using the built-in Music or Videos apps and streaming your content to the Apple TV over AirPlay.

#3 User is offline   Zoidbert 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

My experience has been hit or miss. My main problem is with video streaming and the lack of subtitle options for those of us who are hearing impaired in some way. I'm not deaf but pretty much have to have subtitles or captioning to enjoy movies and TV shows at home (i.e., not the theater or when I'm watching with headphones on my iPad/iPhone). Subtitle availability, regardless of what laws are in place, is completely hit-or-miss.

#4 User is offline   lkrupp 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:03 AM

Maybe I'm just overly familiar with the Apple TV, but all of these suggestions seem really obvious. I'm also not a big fan of the Remote app. In my opinion, the user experience is poor. You're better off just using the built-in Music or Videos apps and streaming your content to the Apple TV over AirPlay.

These suggestions may seem obvious to someone who is used to exploring and tinkering with settings and preferences but for a large majority of users the thought of looking at preferences wouldn't even cross their minds. Just take a look at the Apple discussion forums where users are clueless about the simplest functions and demand to be spoon fed the answers.

As for the ATV itself, and the Roku too, these boxes have a long way to go before they replace cable or satellite. The big problem of course are the content providers who want keep the status quo and their revenue streams profitable. Even Jobs hadn't cracked that nut yet.

#5 User is offline   MacDan2004 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

The nice thing I have found about the Apple remote app on my iPhone is that if I start a TV episode from the remote app, the Apple TV will automatically play one episode after the other until it completes that season. Cool way of having a marathon of your favorite TV show.

#6 User is offline   northwestjr 

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I've had an apple TV for a couple of years now - had no idea I could arrange icons . . . thanks Jon!

#7 User is offline   spanky 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I like my old AppleTV with the hard drive. I was able to rip movies onto it so I did't need my computer running. Requiring the computer to be running so I can stream a movie renders the AppleTV redundant, I'll just connect the Mini to the TV.

#8 User is offline   brucem67 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

One thing they didn't talk about is Airplay- the ability to push from your iOS devices of any type to your apple TV connected to your TV and/or stereo. So you can mirror your desktop, watch streaming content from a website that doesn't have an ATV feed (ABC.com, for instance), push local content to the television, listen to iTunes through your amp/stereo, etc. This opens up a lot of configuration options with ATV at the core. I have ATV's on multiple TV's with HuluPlus; getting ready to fire Time Warner Cable as I have everything I need through HD over the air, HuluPlus, Apple Store and Airplay.

#9 User is offline   TonyRaskoon 

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

ATV does a great job streaming Netflix, etc. You can stream what you're looking at on your idevice onto your flat screen up to 1080. The ability to dip into iTunes media is a big plus because it all sounds so good if you have a theater setup. The best $99 I've spent on video.

#10 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Mmmm ... I was expecting something more or different than these 6 tips. Granted I didn't know I could jiggle icons around, but a tip like that doesn't actually "get more" out of my Apple TV.

Regardless of tips about certain settings it is the same feature limited device by Apple's choice.

High time for an article on alternative firmware for the Apple TV?

#11 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

I've had an apple TV for a couple of years now - had no idea I could arrange icons . . . thanks Jon!

It has only recent.y become possible, with the last software upgrade

#12 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I like my old AppleTV with the hard drive. I was able to rip movies onto it so I did't need my computer running. Requiring the computer to be running so I can stream a movie renders the AppleTV redundant, I'll just connect the Mini to the TV.

The computer doesn't have to be running to play a movie from iTunes though, which is what most people were using it for....movie rental, tv/movie purchase from iTunes.

#13 User is offline   brlawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

It's kinda surprising to see Macworld STILL disregarding its wide readership around the world - obviously, the tip on "subscriptions" does NOT work outside US territories.

To omit such a basic information is to mislead readers who do not reside in the US.

#14 User is offline   brlawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

It's kinda surprising to see Macworld STILL disregarding its wide readership around the world - obviously, the tip on "subscriptions" does NOT work outside US territories. To omit such a basic information is to mislead readers who do not reside in the US.

p.s.: I mean the main subscribed services such as Netflix and Hulu, of course.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users