Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Matias Quiet Pro keyboard offers old-school keys without the noise - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Matias Quiet Pro keyboard offers old-school keys without the noise

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Post your comments for Review: Matias Quiet Pro keyboard offers old-school keys without the noise here

#2 User is offline   JMHammer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

Expensive but nice. I'd like to see this keyboard with a built-in USB 3 hub instead of USB 2, so that the USB 3 bus in the computer doesn't get forced to limit to USB 2 speeds any other devices connected to that bus.

#3 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Awesome - I love my original version. Hopefully they keep making them for some time to come.

I like the new symbols on the keys - I wonder if I can just replace the key caps on my existing board? Will have to check their website.

edit: I feel silly - mine has the symbols too. I guess I really don't look at the keys on my keyboard that much any more :ph34r:

This post has been edited by DocNo: 16 November 2012 - 06:43 AM

#4 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

Woulde buy it in a second if it were bluetooth.

#5 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

I don't get the mass appeal of a wireless keyboard for a desktop computer. I don't move my keyboard around, so I don't really care if it has a wire. Plus, I get the extra USB ports.

#6 User is offline   radams97439 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

I remember when the first PCs came out that the ones for IBM computers had extra little "clickers" built in to their keyboards so that they'd SOUND like the Selectric typewriter keyboards. Apple, not having to connect to an older technology, always had quieter keyboards just because they didn't put noise-makers on the keys.
I always hated to be in a room with PCs because of the noise.

#7 User is offline   dbrandt 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I don't get the mass appeal of a wireless keyboard for a desktop computer. .

It depends on your use case. I use a Mac mini as an unsubsubsidized AppleTV/Plex, so it is hidden away. When I want to use it as a Mac, then I need the keyboard & mouse. They need to be wireless. I asked them whether they were going to build a Bluetooth version of the Tactile and they said they were planning on building a small version of it. That's a good use case. I have the Tactile Pro for my desktop and I agree there's no need for Bluetooth for that use case.

#8 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

View Postdbrandt, on 16 November 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

I don't get the mass appeal of a wireless keyboard for a desktop computer. .

It depends on your use case. I use a Mac mini as an unsubsubsidized AppleTV/Plex, so it is hidden away. When I want to use it as a Mac, then I need the keyboard & mouse. They need to be wireless. I asked them whether they were going to build a Bluetooth version of the Tactile and they said they were planning on building a small version of it. That's a good use case. I have the Tactile Pro for my desktop and I agree there's no need for Bluetooth for that use case.

Although in the case of using a Mini as a media center, I don't know that it makes a lot of sense to spend a lot of money on a typist keyboard. I can't imagine you will need to enter more than a few sentences and you're probably not going to have a good typing position either, so a cheaper keyboard (even the Apple bluetooth keyboard) would seem to work fine.

#9 User is offline   Zoidbert 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

Woulde buy it in a second if it were bluetooth. I don't get the mass appeal of a wireless keyboard for a desktop computer. I don't move my keyboard around, so I don't really care if it has a wire. Plus, I get the extra USB ports.

To each his own. Some people prefer the wireless because it makes for a neater desk.

#10 User is offline   Peter Cohen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

You might be interested in the KBtalKing Pro. I haven't used it, but it sure fits the bill.

#11 User is offline   matiasblog 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Expensive but nice. I'd like to see this keyboard with a built-in USB 3 hub instead of USB 2, so that the USB 3 bus in the computer doesn't get forced to limit to USB 2 speeds any other devices connected to that bus.

Unfortunately, USB 3 is still too expensive to incorporate into a keyboard like this. It would've driven the price even higher than it is now.

I'm sure the cost of USB 3 will come down in a few years. When it does, you can expect us to add it.

#12 User is offline   matiasblog 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Woulde buy it in a second if it were bluetooth. I don't get the mass appeal of a wireless keyboard for a desktop computer. I don't move my keyboard around, so I don't really care if it has a wire. Plus, I get the extra USB ports.

Wireless is handy if you use a laptop as your desktop machine (as I do). It's one less cable to plug in.

It's also handy if you're travelling and want to use the keyboard in your lap. Most hotel desks are not that ergonomic.

#13 User is offline   Moeskido 

• PipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

"Mechanical-keyboard enthusiasts will tell you that they type faster and more accurately on mechanical keyboards than on membrane keyboards."

Yes, I will and I do.

Very good review, full of the details I want to know about. Looking forward to trying this one somewhere, but I have a feeling it'll still be a bit louder than the current Apple keyboard, which my wife must live alongside in our home office.

#14 User is offline   matiasblog 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Very good review, full of the details I want to know about. Looking forward to trying this one somewhere, but I have a feeling it'll still be a bit louder than the current Apple keyboard, which my wife must live alongside in our home office.

If you live near a Micro Center store, they carry most of our products. They don't have this one yet, but you could probably persuade them to order one in for you to try. It never hurts to ask. :-)

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users