Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: How Do I access iCloud with Tiger? - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do I access iCloud with Tiger?

#1 User is offline   thatman55 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 28-September 02

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

When I'm on the road with my old PowerBook G4/Tiger, can I setup/access all the goodies in iCloud? It would be great to store all the photos processed during my road trip in my iCloud account and save the limited drive space on my laptop. I'm assuming that my Safari has been updated as far as it will go with Tiger since I use Software Update regularly.
0

#2 User is offline   smax013 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,177
  • Joined: 06-July 07

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

View Postthatman55, on 17 November 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

When I'm on the road with my old PowerBook G4/Tiger, can I setup/access all the goodies in iCloud? It would be great to store all the photos processed during my road trip in my iCloud account and save the limited drive space on my laptop. I'm assuming that my Safari has been updated as far as it will go with Tiger since I use Software Update regularly.


The short answer is basically that you cannot. iCloud functionality requires Lion or later.

There are somethings that you will be able to do.

You can log into the iCloud website, which will get you access to calendars, contacts, mail, notes, and reminders.

I believe you should also be able to setup an iCloud email account in Apple Mail (or any other third party email client that supports IMAP) using IMAP.

Beyond that, you are outta luck to my knowledge.
0

#3 User is offline   thatman55 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 28-September 02

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Thanx Smax;
Researching this while on the road, I came to pretty much the same conclusion. There's not much I need the cloud for when I'm on the road actually. I'll get the hang of the 'Cloud' now that I'm back home & have time to fiddle with it (me & D. Pogue, actually).

View Postsmax013, on 18 November 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

View Postthatman55, on 17 November 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

When I'm on the road with my old PowerBook G4/Tiger, can I setup/access all the goodies in iCloud? It would be great to store all the photos processed during my road trip in my iCloud account and save the limited drive space on my laptop. I'm assuming that my Safari has been updated as far as it will go with Tiger since I use Software Update regularly.


The short answer is basically that you cannot. iCloud functionality requires Lion or later.

There are somethings that you will be able to do.

You can log into the iCloud website, which will get you access to calendars, contacts, mail, notes, and reminders.

I believe you should also be able to setup an iCloud email account in Apple Mail (or any other third party email client that supports IMAP) using IMAP.

Beyond that, you are outta luck to my knowledge.

0

#4 User is offline   smax013 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,177
  • Joined: 06-July 07

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

FWIW, if your goal is to "off load" photos to the "cloud" while traveling to free up drive space on your PowerBook, then there are plenty of other options beside iCloud. And most will work with Tiger.
0

#5 User is offline   thatman55 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 28-September 02

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Thanx Smax;

Your right; the first & foremost option that comes to mind, is my trusty DropBox account which I tend to overlook most of the time. (and it's truly 'cross-platform')

View Postsmax013, on 18 January 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

FWIW, if your goal is to "off load" photos to the "cloud" while traveling to free up drive space on your PowerBook, then there are plenty of other options beside iCloud. And most will work with Tiger.

0

#6 User is offline   smax013 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,177
  • Joined: 06-July 07

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postthatman55, on 19 January 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

Thanx Smax;

Your right; the first & foremost option that comes to mind, is my trusty DropBox account which I tend to overlook most of the time. (and it's truly 'cross-platform')

View Postsmax013, on 18 January 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

FWIW, if your goal is to "off load" photos to the "cloud" while traveling to free up drive space on your PowerBook, then there are plenty of other options beside iCloud. And most will work with Tiger.



Just keep in mind that if you use the Dropbox app on your Mac, then it is actually still keeping those files/photos on your Mac. You would need to NOT have the Dropbox app on the Mac and use a web browser to upload the files/photos if you want to achieve your "off-loading" of photos.
0

#7 User is offline   HailCaesar 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 18-February 12

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I didnt think you could, but I am sure there is a workaround somewhere. Anyways a lot of people use Dropbox and others to scratch the cloud itch.
0

#8 User is offline   Cubytus32 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 95
  • Joined: 01-August 09

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Maybe an external hard drive or $30 64GB USB key will do the trick. Less elegant, but works.
MacBook Pro 8,1, 16GB, 750GB
Mac OS X 10.6.8 as main OS (Thanks, trusty old BlackBook!), 10.7.3 for playing around.
Politely tell Apple what they did wrong with Mavericks: give them feedback!
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users