Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: The Macalope Daily: What fight are you watching? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Macalope Daily: What fight are you watching?

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Daily: What fight are you watching? here

#2 User is offline   lkrupp 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

Listening to guys like this is no different than listening to your dentist when he gives you a hot stock tip.

#3 User is offline   StefN 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Microsoft's sticky products: Bret should stay away from creepy sounding phrases like this.

#4 User is offline   kevinv 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Microsoft has sticky products but they're a problem not a benefit. Windows XP is the stickiest product they've made. Nobody upgraded to Vista (not just because of the hyper-paranoid security dialogs and bad peripheral support), even Windows 7 has had to fight against the stickiness of XP.

How many times has Microsoft had to extend the end-of-life date on XP support 5 maybe 6 times?

Users that won't upgrade cost Microsoft money.

#5 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Microsoft has sticky products but they're a problem not a benefit. Windows XP is the stickiest product they've made. Nobody upgraded to Vista (not just because of the hyper-paranoid security dialogs and bad peripheral support), even Windows 7 has had to fight against the stickiness of XP. How many times has Microsoft had to extend the end-of-life date on XP support 5 maybe 6 times? Users that won't upgrade cost Microsoft money.

And as we all know, we users exist to make our chosen companies money...;)
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#6 User is offline   ohg67 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

sticky products ....?
Products with stickers on it....!

#7 User is offline   leskern 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

Listening to guys like this is no different than listening to your dentist when he gives you a hot stock tip.

My first laugh of the day. Thanks.

#8 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

Microsoft has sticky products but they're a problem not a benefit. Windows XP is the stickiest product they've made. Nobody upgraded to Vista (not just because of the hyper-paranoid security dialogs and bad peripheral support), even Windows 7 has had to fight against the stickiness of XP. How many times has Microsoft had to extend the end-of-life date on XP support 5 maybe 6 times? Users that won't upgrade cost Microsoft money.

And as we all know, we users exist to make our chosen companies money...

I'm not sure what the wink is for. From Microsoft's perspective (and Apple's) what you said is 100% true.

#9 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

Microsoft's sticky products: Bret should stay away from creepy sounding phrases like this.

Just follows on well with "Welcome to the social" and sharing information by "squirting" it at each other.

#10 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

I had a car dealer once lecture me on how foolhardy it was of Apple to think they could get away with doing things differently than Microsoft and how it ended up with them so weak that Microsoft had bought them.

#11 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

I was seriously considering getting a Surface RT just because it was something different to play around with and maybe try to do some interesting things with as a developer. That despite having read the user interface guidelines for Metro while it was still called that and coming away with the notion they they had lost their way inasmuch as they had ever had one. Hey: I still have my BeBox and never regretted it. There's always something to learn.

But the more I see of it, the more I think it'd be an exercise in masochism.

This post has been edited by bastion: 21 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

#12 User is offline   Flexmeister 

• PipPip

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

"In such circumstances, companies typically end up competing on price."

Yes. Companies that aren't Apple (i.e. "typical" companies). Apple doesn't compete on price, they just sell their stuff for less than the competition can sell theirs at (at comparable quality). Tiny difference.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users