Hands on with Nokia's Here Maps for iOS
Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:31 AM
Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:55 AM
Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:42 AM
First search this morning using Here was for an in town avis rent-a-car location was a total failure. Never could find the one I was going to despite four separate searches that brought up other locations in the area.
Went back to Maps and, bam, it was right on the first screen of avis locations.
Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:08 AM
LOL After reading my post I knew someone would say that.
Thank you for yet AGAIN defending Apple by re-re-re-establishing that both Apple and Google maps each have errors and that those errors are often not in the same places.
Now please address:
- Apple does not have street view. The only posible defense is a tediously lame “well you really don’t need it”.
- Apple’s traffic “info” is worse than pathetic. Try running the two apps side by side in realtime and the traffic differences just leap off the screen. (If you don’t have iOS 5 or Android handy for comparison, you can use the exceedingly kludgy Google maps via Safari and access the traffic "layer").
- Compare completeness of the non-public road info in places like large college campuses, parks and malls.
- Compare names of buildings, stores, landmarks, etc that greatly help you navigate and may just be an actual destination.
- Do you really think Cook apologized for no good reason and only because a bogus public misconception bullied the excessively reticent Apple into apologizing?
Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:21 PM
Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:31 PM
And I am not being paid by Apple for the sponge heads that will claim I am. After using just about everything I could get my hands on paid and free, I choose Apple maps. Not perfect but pretty damn close and getting better.
Also notice how long it's taking Google to port the app to IOS. The extra time is because they see how badly Apple was hit with complaints. And the app that they have on the Android is flawed in many ways. They just don't complain as much because the bar is much lower. They know who bad it will be for them if they don't get it right after proposing this is how it's done. Still waiting GOOGLE! How did Nokia beat you to it ??????
Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:21 PM
Seems very slow to me and the recommendation of places near me show that that feature is near useless (in south London anyway) leaving out some nearby great places and recommending ones miles away that I already know aren't so great.
But directions etc seem OK - so it's not a problem to have yet another option.
If I had to sign into anything, I'd have deleted the app already.
Will keep it for now as back-up.
Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:10 PM