• Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Post your comments for Apple teases its Black Friday event here

#2 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Modest discounts is probably wording it a bit optimistic. Apple's marginal BF discount on select products and accessories has never swayed me to buy anything on that particular day.

#3 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've yet to see a deal at the Apple Store that looked Black Fridayish at all. If I needed something, then yeah, no problem. On the other hand, lots of other places are giving big discounts.

No criticism of Apple. They don't need to discount. If they did, then maybe the doomsayers would have a point.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#4 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

View Posticerabbit, on 20 November 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Modest discounts is probably wording it a bit optimistic. Apple's marginal BF discount on select products and accessories has never swayed me to buy anything on that particular day.

IMO, "black friday" is much better spent with family, friends, and loved ones, than pursuing a chance to save a few pennies on gizmos that, in the big picture, are unimportant. It's a holiday, and I plan to spend as much time with my aging relatives as possible, sipping tea & eggnog, reminiscing, looking at old photos, sharing new ideas and adventures, telling tales, communing and relaxing. Those are my priorities. :)

This post has been edited by TeaEarleGreyHot: 20 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

#5 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Apple is in the very enviable and unusual position of combining high sales volume with industry leading high gross margins. To offer large discounts would only cheapen the brand.

This post has been edited by Martian: 20 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

#6 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostTeaEarleGreyHot, on 20 November 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

View Posticerabbit, on 20 November 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

IMO, "black friday" is much better spent with family, friends, and loved ones, than pursuing a chance to save a few pennies on gizmos that, in the big picture, are unimportant. It's a holiday, and I plan to spend as much time with my aging relatives as possible, sipping tea & eggnog, reminiscing, looking at old photos, sharing new ideas and adventures, telling tales, communing and relaxing. Those are my priorities. :)

And, I am not disagreeing with you one bit. Family first. Time to relax and enjoy the day because it is going to be a long cold winter, and like you said, everybody's time on this little blue marble is limited. Enjoy it while you can.

Personally, I strongly dislike that those who work in retail were already to be at work earlier and earlier for Black Friday, and now have been pushed into Thursday night as well. How about we just move it a week earlier and give everybody their holiday back?

I'm not going to run around like a looney racing from store to store on Thursday and Friday to find limited availability deals nor to buy a second rate or end-of-life product. There's been a few times I got in line 20-30 minutes before a store opened to snag a few good things (or spares) at one local retailer for a significant discount (25-50% off or more; or free after rebate). Over a decade ago we tried to go to three stores in a row once or twice and it was just a crazy mess. Huge lines for certain stores where people are lined up around the building and the parking lot ... and we just kept driving (or drove home). Now I only get up for emergencies and to help people. Capitalism can wait. We've got pretty much what we need. There's some things on wish or want lists, but they're not absolute needs nor priorities. And, they wouldn't be on sale on BF anyhow.

When it comes to Apple, if they had let's say 25% discount on something I needed or on my wish list, I'd order it over the internet and get it delivered ( instead waking up before dawn and spending three hours in the car to go get it ) but Apple typically only has some marginal discount on accessories or a free iTunes gift card, which is pointless to me as I don't use the iStores.

This post has been edited by icerabbit: 20 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

#7 User is offline   dregstudios 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Black Friday is a moral sacrilege to our founding history as Americans. Every year, human lives are claimed by a feverish frenzy of glutinous greed as shoppers are driven to the brink of insanity by the eccentricities of this circus. Shopping should never be a sport nevertheless the most dangerous one. No life is worth a gaming console, computer or any electronic device. Read about the true meaning of the Harvest and Thanksgiving at http://dregstudiosar...ul-harvest.html

#8 User is offline   RhymingDesigner 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

"…a pair of Smart Cover-clad white iPad with Apple EarPods forming a faux bow."

A bow? Really? I thought it was the top half of the Command symbol.

#9 User is offline   Drack69 

• Pip

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

Apple's Black Friday events are worthless and lot worth making me fight the crowds and traffic and madness to get anything from them. If they would do like everybody else and have a few sweet "deals.."
Of course everybody knows a deal from apple is still paying a LOT more for something that you could get for 1/3 the price elsewhere.

A real Black Friday deal would be 5 first iPad's sold go for $199. Or a couple high end laptops at $300. Something like that. The problem is people pay the price and line up at their doors so why would they when the cash will flow through their doors no matter what? Why would they do anything for the consumer other than overcharge?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users