• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Local Host Name Already In Use OSX keeps changing my local host name

#1 User is offline   dmgliser 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Every so often OSX issues the following message

This computer's local hostname 'Dave-Gliserman-Computer-1.local"' is already in use on this network.
The name has been changed to 'Dave-Gliserman-Computer-2.local'"

It then shows instructions for changing the local hostname in the Preferences, Sharing area. . Left to its own devices, it will eventually send more messages incrementing the name to -3, then -4, etc.
I am running an Airport Extreme with an Airport Express linked to it. The messages predate the installation of the Airport Express. There is a Canon MFP set to be shared on the local network.
I found that another Mac was also "sharing" the same printer, even though that printer is not attached to it, and have since removed that setting. Was this the cause of the change messages?
If not, what do I need to do to correct the situation?

Thanks.

Dave Gliserman

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View Postdmgliser, on 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

This computer's local hostname 'Dave-Gliserman-Computer-1.local"' is already in use on this network.

It then shows instructions for changing the local hostname in the Preferences, Sharing area. . Left to its own devices, it will eventually send more messages incrementing the name to -3, then -4, etc.
I am running an Airport Extreme with an Airport Express linked to it. The messages predate the installation of the Airport Express. There is a Canon MFP set to be shared on the local network.
I found that another Mac was also "sharing" the same printer, even though that printer is not attached to it, and have since removed that setting. Was this the cause of the change messages?

Thanks.

Dave Gliserman

Try unchecking the "wake for network access" setting in the Energy Saver preferences. This worked for me in the past when I had this problem. Unless you are trying to remotely access your computer while it is "asleep", then unchecking this setting should not impact you otherwise.

#3 User is offline   dmgliser 

• Pip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

View Postdmgliser, on 21 November 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Thanks.

Dave Gliserman

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the situation is complicated by my use of Printopia, a software tool that allows remote printing requests from my iPad and gets around Apple's requirements regarding printer brands for remote printing. That said, you are very likely correct because the messages started about the time that I installed Printopia. The wake setting is pretty much needed to have Printopia work. I never connected the two as to cause and effect.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

dmgliser, on 26 November 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the situation is complicated by my use of Printopia, a software tool that allows remote printing requests from my iPad and gets around Apple's requirements regarding printer brands for remote printing. That said, you are very likely correct because the messages started about the time that I installed Printopia. The wake setting is pretty much needed to have Printopia work. I never connected the two as to cause and effect.

The other option is to adjust the Energy Saver settings so that the computer does not go to sleep, but the display does. This should also solve the problem, but still allow the Mac to be "remotely" accessed. And the power demands should not be all that great.

If you really want it to sleep to save the extra power, then you make need to live with the name changing as I am not aware of any other solution (although there might be one...I just am not aware of it).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users