• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any forum question ID jacking

#1 User is offline   PeterG 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hi, I like to go to lots of other sites. Some Political, lots of angry people (except for me :)

In this day and age, with the awareness of stalking, bullying, ID theft, as in, if I jacked your name and avatar then started writing really ugly disgusting posts,

My Q, is there any recourse to stop these types of people or report them for stalking, bulling?

It seems as the internet is growing like a child, no-one seems to be setting down rules, heck lord forbid, manners.

And please, don't tell me NOT to go to sites like that. :)

I honestly believe these people should be reported, but to whom?

Thanks

PS: I can ignore these people very easily, and i do, BUT many can't, then conversations are lost and people leave the site/s.

This post has been edited by PeterG: 23 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

#2 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Quality sites will always offer some kind of link where you can report this kind of thing. Or you could contact an administrator or moderator directly (again, a good site will include links to those people -- we do in our Moderator Team link on the forum's home page). In a case where an ID has been hijacked, the administrator should be able to compare IP addresses to confirm that the account really has been hijacked and then do something about it.

Reporting abusive users is sometimes a difficult thing, particularly on sites where people take strong positions. In some cases, one person's abuse is another's spirited debate. And some sites simply don't do much to moderate their content more than filter spam. We take a pretty tough line here -- if you make it personal and are a jerk about it, there will be consequences. But not every site does.

Some sites allow you to filter out particular members so that you never have to see their comments. It's worth checking out a site's tools to see what resources you have available to you.

#3 User is offline   PeterG 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

View PostChris Breen, on 23 November 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

Quality sites will always offer some kind of link where you can report this kind of thing. Or you could contact an administrator or moderator directly (again, a good site will include links to those people -- we do in our Moderator Team link on the forum's home page). In a case where an ID has been hijacked, the administrator should be able to compare IP addresses to confirm that the account really has been hijacked and then do something about it.

Reporting abusive users is sometimes a difficult thing, particularly on sites where people take strong positions. In some cases, one person's abuse is another's spirited debate. And some sites simply don't do much to moderate their content more than filter spam. We take a pretty tough line here -- if you make it personal and are a jerk about it, there will be consequences. But not every site does.

Some sites allow you to filter out particular members so that you never have to see their comments. It's worth checking out a site's tools to see what resources you have available to you.

Thanks Chris,
Yeah, I have no problem with people holding, arguing taking strong positions. Heck I've been in lots of scraps, mental and physical :D. My choice, whats that line something like "the only person that can hurt you is you".
But having those same people, say me being you, with me stealing your avatar and name, then making everyone else on the forum/board/blog leave because of the disgusting things I was saying, "acting" as if it was you, that'd make the devil blush.
With innocent people who don't act like that, (think of your Grand Parents) looking for some conversation not really knowing the internet.

It's those folks, I feel sorry for. And as you say, many only have filtering, or don't believe in it because of Freedom of Speech.

I tell them to collapse the posts, ignore the posts, don't respond to the posts, Flag the posts, but nice innocent people get caught up in it.

Which then goes back to the "site" itself. Moderation or no moderation, filtering or no filtering.

Macworld has been good over the years of keeping it clean.

Thanks.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users