• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving Airport Express

#1 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

My currently operating Airport Express is connected to a switch which is then connected to my cable modem. If I move the switch and AE to a different house and plug everything in the same way, what else do I need to do to get my wi-fi network up and running again?
Thanks, Bob.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostRcovell, on 23 November 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

My currently operating Airport Express is connected to a switch which is then connected to my cable modem. If I move the switch and AE to a different house and plug everything in the same way, what else do I need to do to get my wi-fi network up and running again?
Thanks, Bob.

Just to make sure I understand, the switch is connected to the cable modem and the Airport Express is connected to the switch, correct?

If so, then that means you actually have a router function built into your cable modem as I don't believe a switch would work proper with just a plain cable modem that is "delivering up" an Internet IP address rather than "delivering up" an "private network" IP address. If that is the case, then when you move the switch and AE to the other house, you will need to make sure that the cable modem at the other house has a router function built into the cable modem as well. If so, then just plugging everything in the same should work.

#3 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Good news! Today I moved my switch and AE to the other house, plugged everything in and after a few moments, the green light on the AE lit up and I was back in business.
I signed in a new iPad to the 'old' network using the network password and it worked.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users