Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac Gems: Little Snitch snitches on misbehaving apps - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac Gems: Little Snitch snitches on misbehaving apps

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Post your comments for Mac Gems: Little Snitch snitches on misbehaving apps here

#2 User is offline   mergatroidal 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

I thought of purchasing Little Snitch, though I don't know the ins and outs of internet protocol, and confident enough to know what I'm doing by tinkering around such as what Little Snitch allows one to do. Offering a course where one could understand and then feel confident enough to begin to employ a tool such as what is contained with Little Snitch would be the trick, and surely would help boost sales of the software.

#3 User is offline   Glenn_Fleishman 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

I thought of purchasing Little Snitch, though I don't know the ins and outs of internet protocol, and confident enough to know what I'm doing by tinkering around such as what Little Snitch allows one to do.

Little Snitch can be used without any knowledge of the Internet's inner working, as it's basic protections just prompt you about whether a piece of software should be allowed to "talk" to the rest of the Internet. If unfamiliar, you can track down help to know whether it's malicious software or not.

#4 User is offline   marcomasser 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

I thought of purchasing Little Snitch

Little Snitch has a fully functional trial period that allows you to test fully. It just disables itself after a few hours of use and you have to click a button to reenable it again.

#5 User is offline   jaja 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I used to run little snitch (old version) and liked it. So I downloaded the trial version. Every 2 seconds I was getting warnings from it and I was flat out blocking what I thought were not essential tasks and discovered that Safari no longer loads a number of sites or loads them verrrrry slowly. I tried to clear all of the ones I had blocked to try to rectify the problem and these sites still don't load. So I have temporarily disabled it....but the sites still don't load. Other web browsers can go to those sites. I wouldn't say it is for the faint hearted.

#6 User is offline   lifeinbayarea 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have three Macs in the house, last time I checked little snitch was picky about using on multiple systems. Has this changed? $35 is OK for the home but not 3x $35.

#7 User is offline   wwelsh39 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I've used Little Snitch in version 2 and in v3.0.1 and found I was constantly being forced to choose yes or no about obscurely named sites with no information on who or what they were or what they wanted to do. I just reinstalled version 3 and this time it gave me 50 -100 choices after restarting with almost no idea what I was saying yes or no to. Sure you can probably Google those choices but who wants to spend the better part of a day doing that. I made my best guess and was no longer able to connect to some websites. I've uninstalled it again as it's too much work with too little real help for amateurs like me.

I believe the author of this article was far too enthusiastic about Little Snitches usefulness for amateurs. Once you've said "No" to a site in LS and lost the ability to connect to it, how do you undo that?

#8 User is offline   davebarnes 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Great product.
Have used for 7 years.
Keep buying upgrades.
Worth it.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

#9 User is offline   talmy 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I have three Macs in the house, last time I checked little snitch was picky about using on multiple systems. Has this changed? $35 is OK for the home but not 3x $35.

I just looked on the site. A family license is $59, although a single user can use the single license on multiple systems.

#10 User is offline   Dotkhan 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'd like to know if one can monitor and read the data Little Snitch is monitoring. Save the data in a sandbox for review with the option of letting it continue to its destination or block the connection from that point on while trashing the isolated data.

#11 User is offline   vinnie_A 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

So I have temporarily disabled it....but the sites still don't load. Other web browsers can go to those sites. I wouldn't say it is for the faint hearted.

It is possible that there is something going on with Safari as there have been reports of slow load times in Apple Community Forums.

#12 User is offline   vinnie_A 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Once you've said "No" to a site in LS and lost the ability to connect to it, how do you undo that?

Open Little Snitches "Rules" window and delete the one you don't want around.

#13 User is offline   djohnson45 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

I had been running Little Snitch on 10.7. When I installed 10.8 it went crazy wanting me to verify sites. It got so annoying I completely uninstalled it. Tried v.3 today and it was the same way. Uninstalled it again permanently.

#14 User is offline   ARGorthy 

• Pip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

this update conflicts with various deamons, particularly the virusbarrierd process of VirusBarrier X6 - best reinstall Little Snitch 2.54 - available for download from Little Snitch - reinstall and it "upgrades" back to original

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users