#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Daily: Anecdatal evidence here

#2 User is offline   LynnRCarter 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Amazing! Microsoft and Apple are two very different companies with two very different product distribution networks. Once again you have found some truly horrible stuff that supposed "professionals" have written and foisted off on us as if they are doing something of value for us. You then write about it in such delightful way. Judging the volume of product sales by looking at the purchases of people coming out of the Microsoft "store" shows how little they know about Microsoft... and here I thought they just didn't know anything about Apple.

Thanks once again!

#3 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

I do have to wonder why any analyst would decide this is the best use of his time. It seems like eight hours of study could be far more valuably used. I also wonder why anyone would hire said analyst.

#4 User is offline   Vick 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

I do have to wonder why any analyst would decide this is the best use of his time...

MOA has a Cinnabon...

#5 User is offline   obewaun 

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

OK, so IF Apple is DOOMED, and now supposedly Microsoft is also on the road to DOOMED, what's left?

Granted, I wouldn't cry and allegator tears if Microsoft went the way of the Hostess Twinky. But I digress.

Does this point to the Macalope's good friend (nemesis) doing anti-stupid punditry articles in PCWorld on a daily basis defending Microsoft against it's H8RZ ??? It's beginning to look like there's enough stupidity to go around.

#6 User is offline   obewaun 

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

Correction: I wouldn't cry any allegator tears...

#7 User is offline   TheBum 

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Are you sure you don't want to correct that again? *cough*alligator*cough* :)

Apart from being a statistically insignificant sample size, these are mostly Minnesotans we're talking about. Not that I have anything against Minnesotans (hey, who doesn't like lakes?), but they are hardly an average cross-section of the entire country's population.

#8 User is offline   ehren 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

I would argue that the Twin Cities area is not all that much different from other mid-major metros in the US.

Besides, most normal Minnesotans recognize the MoA for the hulking tourist trap it is, and avoid it like the plague. Thank [your chosen deity] that there are 4 other Apple stores to visit here.

#9 User is offline   thomaspin 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Inept work by Munster, resulting in noise not data. He would be far better off slipping a sales dude in the Fifth Avenue store a couple of Benjamins in exchange for real data and that approach would be entirely in keeping with Wall Street's ethics.

Then again, if he can afford to spend eight hoiurs watching Minnesotans, maybe his time is not worth very much - probably as much as his data gathering skills.

#10 User is offline   joebot 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I was (inexplicably) at the MOA on Black Friday. The Microsoft store actually did have a decent crowd, although I'd say twice as many were in the Apple store. I wondered aloud to my better half how many of them were paying customers. Me, I was there to buy a case for my iPhone 5.

#11 User is offline   ronaldraygun 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I do have to wonder why any analyst would decide this is the best use of his time.

Well, I don't know the analyst personally, but it may actually be the case that sitting on his butt for 8 hours at the Mall of America is the best and most productive thing he could be doing.

#12 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

I do have to wonder why any analyst would decide this is the best use of his time...

MOA has a Cinnabon...

Perhaps the analyst was actually an employee of the MS store, and spent his shift standing behind the counter, behind a stack of Surface pads, with binoculars trained upon that Apple Store!

#13 User is offline   joshames 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I do have to wonder why any analyst would decide this is the best use of his time. It seems like eight hours of study could be far more valuably used. I also wonder why anyone would hire said analyst.

It's probably still more research than most analysts do...

#14 User is offline   RipRagged 

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Does the Mall of America have a decent brewpub? If so, they probably have a 1/3 pound Kobe beef hambuger with gorgonzola cheese on a sourdough multi-grain bun. I wonder how those were selling in comparison to the iPad. How about if you factor in an accompanying mug of Imperial IPA?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users