Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: LaCie Rugged USB3 Thunderbolt Series portable SSD is fast and affordable - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: LaCie Rugged USB3 Thunderbolt Series portable SSD is fast and affordable

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Post your comments for Review: LaCie Rugged USB3 Thunderbolt Series portable SSD is fast and affordable here

#2 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

You wrote "While connected via USB 3.0 ... transferring our 10GB folder, the drive yielded a write time of 240.8 MBps, and a read time of 190.5 MBps."

This seems VERY suspicious, and not at all in line with the outcomes of your other tests of this same drive.

Are you certain these results are not transposed? I ask because in each one of your other results on this same drive (regardless of interface) as well as any other drive, the read speeds are always notably faster than the write speeds.

Additionally, "read time of 190.5 MBps" is suspect, because 190.5 MBps, or "Megabytes per second " is not a measure of time. So that is either a read RATE, or it actually is a representation of time that is incorrectly measured.

It would actually make more sense that the read TIME (expressed in seconds) is a lower that write time, but that would make the RATE (expressed in MBps) higher and not lower.

Very strange, and not at all logical.

#3 User is offline   robertcoogan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

$200 for a 120GB drive??? I don't see the value. It may be speedy, but I can get a 1TB for a little more than half that price.

#4 User is offline   sirtekalot 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

You wrote "While connected via USB 3.0 ... transferring our 10GB folder, the drive yielded a write time of 240.8 MBps, and a read time of 190.5 MBps." This seems VERY suspicious, and not at all in line with the outcomes of your other tests of this same drive. Are you certain these results are not transposed? I ask because in each one of your other results on this same drive (regardless of interface) as well as any other drive, the read speeds are always notably faster than the write speeds. Additionally, "read time of 190.5 MBps" is suspect, because 190.5 MBps, or "Megabytes per second " is not a measure of time. So that is either a read RATE, or it actually is a representation of time that is incorrectly measured. It would actually make more sense that the read TIME (expressed in seconds) is a lower that write time, but that would make the RATE (expressed in MBps) higher and not lower. Very strange, and not at all logical.

Thank you for a very well thought out response.

#5 User is offline   sirtekalot 

• PipPip

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

$200 for a 120GB drive??? I don't see the value. It may be speedy, but I can get a 1TB for a little more than half that price.

You may be miss that it is a rugged device; ment to take more than the average drive. Also, it is a SSD.

That said, I've never have much luck with these drive, from this company, and the customer service is abysmal at best.

#6 User is offline   NickT 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

..that's a 120GB SSD...

#7 User is offline   Alanoiretblanc 

• Pip

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Clarity over calculators: While I know how to figure out the number of seconds for read/write speed to come up with a total time it would be clearer to say, for example, " Time to transfer a 10 Gb file was 2.24 min (Read- 190.5 MB/ sec, Write- 250 Mb/s). Then, get into the comparison of similar drives using total time. Chart anyone? My 2 cents for what it's worth.

#8 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

This review has been featured in the sidebar all week, but there is still no correction for the erroneous "When transferring our 10GB folder, the drive yielded a write time of 240.8 MBps, and a read time of 190.5 MBps."

#9 User is offline   IgorLeskovar 

• Pip

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

From the first hand I can confirm that read speed is 2x higher (about 400 MBps) than write speed.
Interesting thing is that USB 3 speed is higher than Thunderbolt. First I suspected TB cable, but with Apple's original cable is the same thing...

#10 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

From the first hand I can confirm that read speed is 2x higher (about 400 MBps) than write speed. Interesting thing is that USB 3 speed is higher than Thunderbolt. First I suspected TB cable, but with Apple's original cable is the same thing...

Apple just released an update that included TB connectivity fixes - I wonder if that had something to do with it.

#11 User is offline   rlav 

• PipPip

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

"To write/read a 10GB file, the Rugged drive scored 186.2 MBps and 247.1 MBps"

That's sloppy writing even if the figures haven't been transposed. A drive doesn't score anything in order to write or read a file. The writer has mixed up two other possible versions:

When writing/reading a 10GB file, the Rugged drive scored....

The Rugged drive took ______ to write/read a 10GB file.

#12 User is offline   dmleves 

• Pip

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

I purchased two of these drives for my 27" iMac and I think that it would have made sense to have a pass through port in order to daisy-chain a second drive. We're talking about relatively small drive sizes with SSD's and I've already run out of Thunderbolt ports when you add in my 27" TB display.

#13 User is offline   scribner01 

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

itsa a problematic drive, at least the one that was just purchased to back up Photos
Its giving me error- 50and will not go to trash unless forced to eject.
alos gives me ,DSstore error.
Ill be returned.
Disappointed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users