• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

Post your comments for How to split up a Fusion Drive here

#2 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I recently created a fusion drive on my iMac with the internal drive and a FW800 drive. It worked fine for a couple of days and then it just borked the whole system causing kernel panics.

So I undid them and now things are back to normal. Oh well, there are worse ways to spend a cold Saturday afternoon.

#3 User is offline   medhatashamalla 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

I created a fusion drive for my Mac Pro (early 2008) using an intel SSD (240 GB) and a Seagate HD (1TB), reinstalled ML 10.8.2 and had nothing but a very fast, stable computer. It worked great for me. Creating the drives took minutes and installation + data restoration took but couple of hours. Best upgrade for my machine so far.

#4 User is offline   KernelG 

• PipPip

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Can you custom partition one? Say I get a 3 TB Fusion Drive and want to set aside 1 TB at the end of the HD mechanism for slow storage like iTunes files. Or maybe I'd want to reserve 1 TB at the top for speedy/large audio recording. Is the drive presented as two pieces or one in Disk Utility? Does the Fusion functionality automatically apply to the first partition, or... what happens exactly?

#5 User is offline   mcgordon 

• PipPip

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Can you custom partition one? Say I get a 3 TB Fusion Drive and want to set aside 1 TB at the end of the HD mechanism for slow storage like iTunes files. Or maybe I'd want to reserve 1 TB at the top for speedy/large audio recording. Is the drive presented as two pieces or one in Disk Utility? Does the Fusion functionality automatically apply to the first partition, or... what happens exactly?

You can add one partition with boot camp assistant or disk utility. It's apportioned from the HDD in an SSD/HDD combination and you cannot choose which device or where on the device you want the new partition, though it should typically appear at the end of the HDD.

#6 User is offline   monstasaurous 

• PipPip

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

If you want to partition a portion of the larger drive away from the Fusion drive, you can do so by partitioning the drive before you create the fusion drive.

Then, when creating the Fusion Drive, rather than using the mount point to choose the partitioned drive (/dev/disk#) choose the volume identifier, which look like this:
disk1s1
or maybe:
disk2s4

You can see these when you type "diskutil list" into the terminal. So you can combine an entire disk such as your SSD with a partition on your HDD if you want to manage a portion of it separately.

#7 User is online   orbajack 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

I have setup a Fusion drive on my 2007 iMac with 1TB hdd & a 128GB ssd in the dvd bay, it works very well. But I'm not 'allowed' to create a Recovery Drive on the Fusion drive.

#8 User is offline   monstasaurous 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:22 AM

View Postorbajack, on 30 November 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

I have setup a Fusion drive on my 2007 iMac with 1TB hdd & a 128GB ssd in the dvd bay, it works very well. But I'm not 'allowed' to create a Recovery Drive on the Fusion drive.

How are you trying to create the recovery partition?

#9 User is offline   NBCGLX 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

This is all well and good, but what about those of us with Apple's bluetooth keyboard...startup keyboard commands don't work!

#10 User is offline   monstasaurous 

• PipPip

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

This is all well and good, but what about those of us with Apple's bluetooth keyboard...startup keyboard commands don't work!

Have you seen this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3273

#11 User is offline   edmechem 

• Pip

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

This is expected behavior. If you have another type of Core Storage volume, say, a FileVault encrypted volume (whole disk encrypted, Lion or Mountain Lion) - you can't create a Recovery Drive partition on it either -- it can't be resized, which is necessarily a part of the process.

I ran across this when attempting to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my boot drive's Recovery Drive partition, to a new external drive intended to be a clone of my boot drive, which I'd already formatted as Encrypted. The solution was to use Disk Utility to erase the drive, reformatting it as a single regular JHFS+ (non-encrypted) volume, then use CCC to clone the Recovery Drive partition onto it (in the process, shrinking the non-encrypted Finder-visible volume), and then finally after doing that, erasing it again, choosing Extended (Journaled, Encrypted).

Lesson being, it seems that Core Storage volumes - whether Journaled & Encrypted, or in your case, Fusion - can't be resized in place -- the way traditional non- Core Storage volumes can be.

#12 User is offline   krux77 

• Pip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

I created a fusion drive for my Mac Pro (early 2008) using an intel SSD (240 GB) and a Seagate HD (1TB), reinstalled ML 10.8.2 and had nothing but a very fast, stable computer. It worked great for me. Creating the drives took minutes and installation + data restoration took but couple of hours. Best upgrade for my machine so far.

had u used the mac pro with the ssd as boot drive before setting up the fusion drive??? didn't that go just as fast?

#13 User is offline   jorgefilemon 

• Pip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

-would this void my warranty?

- Could i be able to upgrade the 128 SSD to a 256 eventuall?

they went from a 256SSD to a 128, this makes me really angry!

#14 User is offline   monstasaurous 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

View Postjorgefilemon, on 22 December 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

-would this void my warranty?

- Could i be able to upgrade the 128 SSD to a 256 eventuall?

they went from a 256SSD to a 128, this makes me really angry!

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to replace your hard drive yourself, it I haven't looked into it so don't take my word on it. I would recommend asking apple if its ok to replace your hard drive while under warranty.

You can upgrade to a larger SSD which could give you the ability to move huge amounts of files very fast, but I think the increase in performance with a larger SSD in a fusion drive is negligible after a certain point. However upgrading will mean having to wipe the data from both drives, recreating the CoreStorage volume and then moving your data back.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users