• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Post your comments for Hands on with the new thin 2012 iMac here

#2 User is offline   ConnorMeeblings 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

More of a slideshow than a hands-on, but it's interesting that 21.5" users can't upgrade their RAM.

#3 User is offline   jimlindsey 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Why would anyone be excited about a thinner desktop iMac. Why spend engineering time, money, and effort to produce a product change that can only be appreciated from an awkward side view. Why not spend the time and effort to improve performance, improve the product and lower the price. I realize that Apple prides themselves on style, but this seems kind of ridiculous.

#4 User is offline   MacRaven 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

DIY is always a plus, but you can probably still take it to a local Apple Certified Dealer or Repair place and have it upped to 16GB, though that's an additional cost I know. However note that the pre-installed RAM is standard at 8GB instead of the old 4GB, so not sure the majority of users would have a need to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM, not in the near future anyway. My old iMac is running Mountain Lion just fine on 4GB.

#5 User is offline   MacRaven 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Why would anyone be excited about a thinner desktop iMac. Why spend engineering time, money, and effort to produce a product change that can only be appreciated from an awkward side view. Why not spend the time and effort to improve performance, improve the product and lower the price. I realize that Apple prides themselves on style, but this seems kind of ridiculous.

This design is STILL awesome, and has not lost it's cutting edge look. Apple DID make all the improvements internally as you suggested. And what Apple usually does is make improvements and then not raise the price. This is a decent price for the quality of manufacturing and free software you get with this. Steve Jobs said Apple will never be the Walmart of computers. You can see how far that's gotten Michael Dell and Microsloth.

#6 User is offline   MacRaven 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

DIY is always a plus, but you can probably still take it to a local Apple Certified Dealer or Repair place and have it upped to 16GB, though that's an additional cost I know. However note that the pre-installed RAM is standard at 8GB instead of the old 4GB, so not sure the majority of users would have a need to upgrade to 16 GB of RAM, not in the near future anyway. My old iMac is running Mountain Lion just fine on 4GB.

P.S. For clients I have that don't want to pay full price I tell them to wait for these computers to show up on Apple's own Refurb site, where you get a discount. I've never had a client complain about a refurb yet, they're warranty is the same as if they were new, and the price is a good deal.

#7 User is offline   MarcosDuran588n 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Ummmm. They are also faster than the previous generation. They also have a much better display. And yes they look pretty, some people care about that, and there is nothing wrong with that. Considering that one major PC manufacturer has pretty much copied the older design kind of accentuates the style factor.

#8 User is offline   Birdman 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that these new ones are using parts from laptops to allow for the thinner profile. This makes the Mac Pro the only 'true' desktop. Smaller vid cards etc..

As I said I may be wrong.

Refurbs are great. Currently running 2.8 GHz refurb

#9 User is offline   Poupic 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:32 AM

I still mourn the iMac that some called “The lamp shade.” The arm allowing the screen to be lower very low at an angle. I again have my iMac on a thin shelve for the keyboard. Then I could lower the screen very low and angle it for a perfect viewing exactly as if I held a book while reading it. Instead of thin which does zero for the user why not restore this magical arm and give back the Super Drive now gone for a supposed better design that isn’t.

#10 User is offline   moresantos 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

the missing Super Drive is a big turn-off... and I agree with most people, performance is more important than having a slimmer design...

#11 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that these new ones are using parts from laptops to allow for the thinner profile. This makes the Mac Pro the only 'true' desktop. Smaller vid cards etc.. As I said I may be wrong. Refurbs are great. Currently running 2.8 GHz refurb

You are wrong, sorta. The iMac has been running laptop-grade components, at least RAM, for quite some time. The laptop-sized RAM has been the dead giveaway.

#12 User is offline   Droid 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I still mourn the iMac that some called “The lamp shade.” The arm allowing the screen to be lower very low at an angle. I again have my iMac on a thin shelve for the keyboard. Then I could lower the screen very low and angle it for a perfect viewing exactly as if I held a book while reading it. Instead of thin which does zero for the user why not restore this magical arm and give back the Super Drive now gone for a supposed better design that isn’t.

All the weight is in the display, so it's tough to counterbalance the range of movement that the old G4 iMacs had. I suspect the 27" iMac would look odd with a Mac Mini sized dome under the display.

You could probably get a similar range of movement back by buying a VESA mount, I'm assuming these support VESA.

#13 User is offline   Hologram 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

... because the new iMac will look totally awesome in all those product placement shots on prime time TV shows featuring sexy lawyers and filthy rich investment brokers. :)

#14 User is offline   CiiDuboqg0 

• Pip

Does the stand come off? If so, is there word of a vesa kit?

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users