Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple begins offering unlocked iPhone 5 in U.S. - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple begins offering unlocked iPhone 5 in U.S.

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Post your comments for Apple begins offering unlocked iPhone 5 in U.S. here

#2 User is offline   wesley96 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

The Verizon iPhone 5, in fact, is already theoretically unlocked, in that it can freely be used with GSM networks as well. But you can’t pick up a Verizon iPhone 5 without a two-year contract, so that “solution” would end up over time costing you far more than an official unlocked phone direct from Apple.

Wait, I can't buy a Verizon iPhone 5 at a Verizon store on a pre-paid plan and pay the price of the device upfront?

#3 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

The Verizon iPhone 5, in fact, is already theoretically unlocked, in that it can freely be used with GSM networks as well. But you can’t pick up a Verizon iPhone 5 without a two-year contract, so that “solution” would end up over time costing you far more than an official unlocked phone direct from Apple. Wait, I can't buy a Verizon iPhone 5 at a Verizon store on a pre-paid plan and pay the price of the device upfront?

In theory, yes. You could buy one from a Verizon store at full price, and not be tied to a contract. You could actually save a nice chunk of money by doing this as well. Example: buy the iPhone 5 at contract price ($199 etc.), then pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF) of $350, and save yourself $100 ($549) over the full unlocked prices starting at $649.

In retrospect, buying unlocked from Apple won't permit you to use an iPhone on Verizon or Sprint, since their networks default to CDMA when not using LTE, and the CDMA portion of the chip is disabled.

#4 User is offline   rgmilley 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

Is the unlocked version sold in Canada the same as this? That is with the CDMA chip disabled and defaults to GSM when outside LTE coverage. I travel between the U.S. and Canada and currently use an iPhone 4S unlocked which I switch between AT&T and Telus SIM cards. If CDMA were active it would open more options.

#5 User is offline   kron1k 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Well I preordered a Verizon iPhone 5 off the website for full price unlocked...no problems...well worth it to keep unlimited data

#6 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I want to know when Apple will start making "unlocked" iPhones truly unlocked.

I'm using my 4S on Straight Talk, and it's pretty pathetic that we have to resort to hacks in order to get APN settings to change and stick. If people are paying a hefty price for an "unlocked" iPhone from Apple, they should be UNLOCKED! Allow us to change the APN settings, regardless of what SIM card is in it. Since Straight Talk SIMs are recognized as AT&T SIMs, it blocks APN settings. T-Mobile and Verizon SIM cards don't have this problem. Since iOS 6, the hack to get data AND MMS working is even more difficult, and the settings are deleted with every iOS update. Android phones allow access to the APN settings. Why can't Apple do this with "unlocked" iPhones?

They need to get out of bed with the carriers, namely AT&T, when it comes to "unlocked" iPhones. I won't be buying an "unlocked" iPhone 5 until Apple does the right thing.

#7 User is offline   wupher 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Well I preordered a Verizon iPhone 5 off the website for full price unlocked...no problems...well worth it to keep unlimited data

So, you had an unlimited data plan with Verizon before you got the 5, how does it work to transfer it over to your new phone? Please forgive what is probably a stupid question: I have unlimited data with Verizon on my 4 and don't want to give that up when I upgrade to a 5.

#8 User is offline   sensel 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I pay $100 a year to charge up my Nokia candy bar phone (common in Africa and durable). Actually, less. I just have to add some amount at the end of each year to keep the credit on it (if any is left).
Then use an iPad or iPod Touch via Wi-Fi for the rest.

#9 User is offline   sensel 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Sorry, forgot to say, that Nokia is a pay as you go. No contract. If I loose it, won’t shed too many tears.

#10 User is offline   lhudd 

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

So when does Virgin Wireless get the iPhone 5 then?

#11 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

So when does Virgin Wireless get the iPhone 5 then?

Virgin Mobile will get it whenever Sprint feels like it.

#12 User is online   mstrschld 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Well I preordered a Verizon iPhone 5 off the website for full price unlocked...no problems...well worth it to keep unlimited data So, you had an unlimited data plan with Verizon before you got the 5, how does it work to transfer it over to your new phone? Please forgive what is probably a stupid question: I have unlimited data with Verizon on my 4 and don't want to give that up when I upgrade to a 5.

As long as you stay with Verizon you can continue with the same unlimited data plan, for the moment at least, forever. Give them a call and they should verify this. You just have to buy with phone without a discount which is the same as without a new plan. When you buy at a discount it requires a whole new plan.

#13 User is offline   Wizard25 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

Well I preordered a Verizon iPhone 5 off the website for full price unlocked...no problems...well worth it to keep unlimited data So, you had an unlimited data plan with Verizon before you got the 5, how does it work to transfer it over to your new phone? Please forgive what is probably a stupid question: I have unlimited data with Verizon on my 4 and don't want to give that up when I upgrade to a 5.

When you go to upgrade on the verizon wireless website. Click month-to-month instead of 2-year contract. Then on the next page when you pick ur data and messaging package. The "unlimited data for smartphone" plan that you had will be preselected so you just keep that selection and continue with you upgrade.

I was looking into it myself and will probably be going this route and paying full price to keep my unlimited data for $30 month rather than getting stuck at 2GB for $30.

#14 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Yay, finally. I picked mine up at the Apple store today and went to the AT&T store in the same mall to pick up a nano-SIM. AT&T was surprisingly pleasant to deal with. There was a line in front of the Apple store of about 100 people waiting to buy an unlocked iPhone 5--with cash I suppose since I was able to order for pickup at the store online with a credit card.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users