Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stop with the pop-ups

#1 User is offline   cpms 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

The Acer pop-up is starting to grate me folks. Shows up on EVERY page I load on my iPad (except in the forums). The screen is small as it is, pop-ups only hurt the reading experience. I had the same issue when Macworld had the stoopid Porche pop-up running a few months back. I don't mind the pop-up showing on my first load of the site but please don't have it constantly show once it has been closed. I think that Porsche ad was stopped after a week or so. I actually stopped regularly reading the site after a few days. Once the pop-up was pulled I started reading the site again.

This post has been edited by cpms: 03 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

#2 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

View Postcpms, on 03 December 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

The Acer pop-up is starting to grate me folks. Shows up on EVERY page I load on my iPad (except in the forums). The screen is small as it is, pop-ups only hurt the reading experience. I had the same issue when Macworld had the stoopid Porche pop-up running a few months back. I don't mind the pop-up showing on my first load of the site but please don't have it constantly show once it has been closed. I think that Porsche ad was stopped after a week or so. I actually stopped regularly reading the site after a few days. Once the pop-up was pulled I started reading the site again.

Someone needs to remind the site programmers there are cookies to prevent at least multiple annoyances per visit. Really, sometimes I wonder if MacWorld understands what really makes Apple unique? Considering the reader as the customer and not advertisers. Sure, make money, that's a given. But don't drive readers away in the process.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#3 User is offline   gandalf79 

• Pip

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

There is a reason popup blockers were added to browsers. People hate them! But what I hate more is a web designer that tries to find new ways around those popup blockers.

#4 User is offline   domo 

• Pip

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

AOL! A response dating from a time when the public first came to realise that it really really did not like pop-ups, and browser providers obliged their preferences by providing blockers.

Whenever your spurious "Recommended for you" pop-up appears, I'm off to Safari Reader, or to Readability. Pop-up gone — and all your paying ads too. DON'T DO IT!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users