Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple vs. Samsung: Bad blood in the smartphone wars - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple vs. Samsung: Bad blood in the smartphone wars

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Post your comments for Apple vs. Samsung: Bad blood in the smartphone wars here

#2 User is offline   woodworks 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Er, success in the enterprise smartphone space continues to elude Samsung, not allude. Allude means "to make an indirect reference" to something, not "to evade or escape" something. Lordy, what are they teaching in college these days?

#3 User is offline   drocha184 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

@ woodworks

Go take a nap.

#4 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm with you, woodworks. Journalism, and good writing in general, are going extinct. But keep on championing failure, drocha184!

#5 User is offline   wogsinheat 

• PipPip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

@woodworks

I'm with you too.

Also, I'm not sure that anyone who can use a quote like this has even been to school:

“If operators were to remove their subsidies over night Apple’s shipments would go down very quickly,” Mawston says.

#6 User is offline   SuperSam64 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

“Even if consumers think there are other companies that can offer them different or better features, they still feel very locked into the iPhone while at same time loving the familiarity it offers,”

Exactly. They feel "locked in". I don't want to use a product because I am "locked in", I want to use a product because it is superior. Specifications, customization, features, and the ability to make a device do what I want it to take priority over how well it syncs with iTunes and whether or not it will fit in my car dock. And even if being "locked in" was the only difference between Apple and the competition, I see it as a disadvantage, because when something superior comes along I will be in the same boat as those mentioned above.

Just my thoughts.

#7 User is offline   taosjake 

• Pip

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Never forget that Samsung spends huge money on PR and advertising, including an undisclosed amount that goes to "independent analysts" such as Strategy Analytics et al. No need for corrupt connection; simply the companies can't help but notice that, e.g., when they issue a favorable report concerning Samsung, huge numbers of newsletters are ordered. It's also crucial that Samsung *never* releases hard, fast unit numbers of sales in legal filings, unlike Apple. So *any* statistics concerning Samsung sales and relative performance must be treated with great skepticism. It's also very possible that journalists, bloggers, and comment writers are influenced by Samsung promotion money. Best technique: if an article or report appears that highlights only Apple and Samsung, and praises the latter, be very careful. Samsung's current marketing meme is that "we are the only real competitor with Apple, but they are now fading without SJ, have no real innovation, and we are the future." Caveat lector.

#8 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

My biggest beef with Samesung, especially lately, is the mocking of the people they hope to steal from Apple in most of their commercials.

If SJ were still here, I'm sure he'd be telling Samesung: "You're doing it wrong!" I'd be the first to agree!

#9 User is offline   jscotta 

• PipPip

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

I disagree with this paragraph, "The company also doesn’t have a phone for the low-end pre-paid segment of the market." It seems to me that the iPhone 4 or even the 3GS could be used for that market. If the pre-paid segment requires an even cheaper phone, then I doubt that Apple would ever participate. Those phones are truly disposable. I cannot see Apple ever wanting to be associated with that type of quick throw-away image.

#10 User is offline   Vick 

• PipPip

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

"Apple, on the other hand, is heavily dependent on operator subsidies.

“If operators were to remove their subsidies over night Apple’s shipments would go down very quickly,” Mawston says."

This statement is either irrelevant or stupid. You mean Samsung, in it's thousands of different Android models, don't get subsidies also? It's a meaningless statement unless: 1) you compare the effect on removing subsidies from both companies' products; or 2) you can state that Apple gets subsidies and Samsung doesn't.

And, @drocha184 - I'd love to find out what prospective employers think of your resume...

#11 User is offline   Vick 

• PipPip

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

"Apple, on the other hand, is heavily dependent on operator subsidies.
“If operators were to remove their subsidies over night Apple’s shipments would go down very quickly,” Mawston says."
This statement is either irrelevant or stupid. You mean Samsung, in it's thousands of different Android models, don't get subsidies also? It's a meaningless statement unless: 1) you compare the effect on removing subsidies from both companies' products; or 2) you can state that Apple gets subsidies and Samsung doesn't.
And, @drocha184 - I'd love to find out what prospective employers think of your resume...

With apologies to everyone except drocha184, it should have been 'doesn't get subsidies' and not 'don't get subsidies'...

#12 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

"Apple, on the other hand, is heavily dependent on operator subsidies. “If operators were to remove their subsidies over night Apple’s shipments would go down very quickly,” Mawston says." This statement is either irrelevant or stupid. You mean Samsung, in it's thousands of different Android models, don't get subsidies also? It's a meaningless statement unless: 1) you compare the effect on removing subsidies from both companies' products; or 2) you can state that Apple gets subsidies and Samsung doesn't. And, @drocha184 - I'd love to find out what prospective employers think of your resume... With apologies to everyone except drocha184, it should have been 'doesn't get subsidies' and not 'don't get subsidies'...
You also used the contraction, "it's" instead of the possessive "its", but it's cool ;)

#13 User is offline   goten11756 

• Pip

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

Never forget that Samsung spends huge money on PR and advertising, including an undisclosed amount that goes to "independent analysts" such as Strategy Analytics et al. No need for corrupt connection; simply the companies can't help but notice that, e.g., when they issue a favorable report concerning Samsung, huge numbers of newsletters are ordered. It's also crucial that Samsung never releases hard, fast unit numbers of sales in legal filings, unlike Apple. So any statistics concerning Samsung sales and relative performance must be treated with great skepticism. It's also very possible that journalists, bloggers, and comment writers are influenced by Samsung promotion money. Best technique: if an article or report appears that highlights only Apple and Samsung, and praises the latter, be very careful. Samsung's current marketing meme is that "we are the only real competitor with Apple, but they are now fading without SJ, have no real innovation, and we are the future." Caveat lector.

I smell an iSheep... There are so many things wrong with this statement, that its not even worth debating. One word of advice, opinions are not facts...good grief... The shepard is gone...open your eyes...

#14 User is offline   kaimuse 

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I'm betting that if there's ever an app for grammar-checking (since spell-checking is blind to wrong word usage), it'll be on iOS first.

btw: "Shepherd" [sheep-herd], not "shepard". I suppose that, rather like the leopard, those who persist in characterizing the users of Apple products as sheep, or that old chestnut, "religious fanatics" (while usually missing the point that, with apologies to Bill Clinton, "it's the user experience, stupid"), will never change their spots. Does help make it easier to, well, spot them.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users