Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Mac has alzeimers! My Wi-fi keeps dropping out

#1 User is offline   garyjazz 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

I have a Macbook, bought in about 2008, and for the past few months have been having a problem with wifi. Originally thought it was service provider and adsl service that was bad but that is all working.
What happens is that my Mac keeps on "forgetting" that it is connected to wifi.
Every time I have to go to diagnostics and go through the process of rebooting in a sense because the service just disappears even though there is strong wifi signal.
It only stays connected for about 45 seconds then it drops out. Tried another Mac as well as PC and it works perfectly. The same thing happens when I use Hotspot with my IPhone and try to connect wirelessly.
Has anybody else experienced the same problem and what is the solution?

#2 User is offline   EGM 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

I have a similar problem with my 2008 MacBook Pro. Sometimes it's solid for a few days. Other times it loses its Wi-Fi connection in as little as a few minutes. It's not just that it loses the specific Wi-Fi signal it had; it loses all its Wi-Fi connection capability. If I turn off the AirPort via software, it won't turn on again.

I've had the Airport card checked. It's seated properly and checks out properly. I'm not sure I would have done that if I didn't know an Apple tech personally who did it as a favor. His only thought was that the software might have gotten corrupted somehow and I could try reinstalling the OS. (I run 10.6.8.) That's more trouble than it's worth.

My solution so far is (1) at home and in the classrooms where I teach, use Ethernet; (2) think about upgrading to a new or at least 2011 model; and (3) put up with it. If anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it too.

This post has been edited by EGM: 04 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

#3 User is offline   garyjazz 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

View Postgaryjazz, on 03 December 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

I have a Macbook, bought in about 2008, and for the past few months have been having a problem with wifi. Originally thought it was service provider and adsl service that was bad but that is all working.
Every time I have to go to diagnostics and go through the process of rebooting in a sense because the service just disappears even though there is strong wifi signal.
It only stays connected for about 45 seconds then it drops out. Tried another Mac as well as PC and it works perfectly. The same thing happens when I use Hotspot with my IPhone and try to connect wirelessly.

Strange thing is that when I am at a mall and use wifi and connect via one of their ISP's don't have a problem!!

This post has been edited by garyjazz: 04 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

#4 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

View Postgaryjazz, on 03 December 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

wifi issues can be tricky, as they can be anything from the wifi card, the router to interference from other systems/devices. Firing up a some other hardware that uses 2.4 ghz can/will take down a wifi network in no time flat. (I have such negative experience with both a wireless camera system and a wireless video link system)

There also have been waves of wifi issues with some macs over time ...

What operating system do you have on your macbook?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users