• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

print spooling time very slow

#1 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:00 PM

I have a Brother HL-1850 (PostScript) laser printer with 144 mb of RAM, connected via USB. My CPU is a Mac G4/400 with 384 MB of RAM, I am running OS 9.2.2. Whenever I print files from Adobe Illustrator, Acrobat or off the Internet, the files take a VERY long time to spool to the printer. Seems that anything that is graphics-oriented takes forever. I called Brother, they tell me that it's a software problem on my end, not the printer. When I send the same files to my Epson ink jet printer, they spool and print immediately. Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   jpmhughes 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 April 2003 - 09:29 PM

If you could define "the files take a VERY long time" that will help.
In the mean time have you tried deleting the printer and all associated file for the Brother printer and re-installing? Are you using the very latest printer software?
JIm

#3 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2003 - 08:28 AM

Very long time means the following:
A) printing from Adobe Illustrator: I have a relatively small file (under 200k) with approx 8 logos I created (it's tiled into 4 pages). Easily takes 3 or more minutes to spool all my pages (a light on my printer blinks to indicate the printer is still receiving data), and then another 5-10 to print. I've noticed that live text from Illustrator takes longer than outlined text.
B) printing from Acrobat: a 9 MB file with approximately 15 pages. I tried to print page one only, and it took easily 10-15 minutes. The only graphic on the page was a screen grab of a web site.
The software is very current, I downloaded it from the Brother website a few weeks ago, when I installed the printer. Is there such a thing as a printer that is "bad" for Mac and others that are "good" for Macs?

#4 User is offline   Tez 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2003 - 02:40 AM

I am assuming that you are not using a postscript driver for the Epson.
Illustrator is a postscript based application but relies on Quickdraw for its on screen display, so what it sends to the inkjet is Quickdraw data which is already rasterised. When it prints to a postscript printer, it sends postscript data which the printer has to interpret and then rasterise and that includes fonts. Illustrator files can become very complex and very demanding.
As far as Acrobat files are concerned, I encounter similar problems. The pdf format uses a very efficient form of postscript and are designed to be pretty much device and platform independent, but when you print to a postscript printer, it seems the the printer has to re-interpret the data. Perhaps someone out there can corfirm or explain this.
As an example, one of my printers is an Epson 1270 and I print postscript based files to it via Adobe PressReady (unfortunately long since dropped by Adobe).
I can print a reasonably sized pdf to it directly in seconds, but via PressReady, that same file could take 3-4 minutes.
Here's a workaround for the Illustrator files at least that might be worth trying:
Save the file as an eps and place it in a page layout application (I use Quark) and then print it to the laser printer. It always prints much faster for me.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users