Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: BioLite's CampStove fuels your gear with fire - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: BioLite's CampStove fuels your gear with fire

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Post your comments for Review: BioLite's CampStove fuels your gear with fire here

#2 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Okay, at first, I was skeptical. But after reading the whole review, I'm really intrigued by this device! I think a solar charger is still more practical for powering smartphones and such when you're away from AC power, but this could augment my emergency kit nicely.

#3 User is offline   Dennistrator 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I told a fellow worker about this campstove with a USB port and he thought i was pulling his leg. My understanding is that this was initially developed for 3rd world countries where indoor heating and cooking with open fire is common and presents respiratory hazards. The fan promotes a largely smokeless flamb. Remote areas may have cellphone service in areas with no power grid, so the USB port is logical. The recreational and emergency utility of this is compelling.

#4 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

This is too cool. I don't go camping and I suspect that using a car charger is more efficient in an emergency/power failure situation but I still want this thing :)

#5 User is offline   Bobster 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

This stove is about as useful as your can of fuel. Once that's gone, so is the stove's ability to charge anything.

What you want to get yourself is a crank-powered electric flashlight with a built-in USB charger for re-charging your cell phone, iPod, etc. The only way to run out of juice is for your arms to fall off.

Eton makes some pretty nice gadgets like this (no, I don't work for them - I just buy their stuff cause it's worth the money).

http://www.etoncorp....uctDbId=1517029

#6 User is offline   Bobster 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

One other thing - if you're only looking for backup power for portable electronics, Eton also makes this very cool device:

http://www.etoncorp....uctDbId=1869045

#7 User is offline   ScottHines3ku0 

• PipPip

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Will it power a usb light?

#8 User is offline   HeinrichsJM 

• PipPip

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

This stove is about as useful as your can of fuel. Once that's gone, so is the stove's ability to charge anything.

Up here in Canada, we have what are called 'forests', which are made up of 'trees'; these trees in turn are made of 'wood', which is the fuel used by the the Bio-Lite stove. As we have several million square miles of wood producers, running short of fuel is not really a short-term problem, yet.

Cheers

#9 User is offline   himbo 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

I think you may want to re-read the review a little more closely. There is no "can of fuel" involved here.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users