Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Permissions Problem

#1 User is offline   Bob1177 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

I recently installed a Western Digital 1 TB drive in my MP, installed Lion, transferred my settings, did all of the updates (10.7.5) and everything works fine except that now I have to repair permissions every time I startup the computer after shutting it off. There is no problem when I simply do a restart. Is this likely a hardware or software problem?

#2 User is offline   Bob1177 

• PipPip

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

I have a followup. I just did a "Verify Disk Permissions" followed by a "Repair Disk Permissions" followed immediately by a "Verify Disk Permissions" and without doing a character by character comparison of the two reports they appear to report the same errors. Either the errors were not corrected or the errors were regenerated automatically. In both cases there were 47 permission errors.

#3 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

View PostBob1177, on 05 December 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

I have a followup. I just did a "Verify Disk Permissions" followed by a "Repair Disk Permissions" followed immediately by a "Verify Disk Permissions" and without doing a character by character comparison of the two reports they appear to report the same errors. Either the errors were not corrected or the errors were regenerated automatically. In both cases there were 47 permission errors.

There are a few things to address here.

You say that you "have to" repair permissions ever time you start up the computer. Why? What happens if you don't?

You also say that there is no problem when you do a restart, but at that level of operation there shouldn't been any difference between the impact of a warm or cold boot.

Finally, understand that as a side-effect of the way permission repair operates there are a large number of messages that are "normal." If you go through the logs carefully, you'll probably find that most or all of the items you see are listed twice and the permissions differ. The issue is that the permissions repair system has been given conflicting information about the proper permissions on those files so it sets them one way, then sets them back. When you run it again, they're "wrong" by the first test so they get flagged again and the cycle repeats.

Without a further description of actual operational problems, I'm inclined to think that the problem is not hardware or software, but a user doing something he doesn't need to and reading more into the results than is warranted.

#4 User is offline   Bob1177 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

The last time my startup failed I was able to startup using Shift-Cmd. I then did a permissions repair and immediately did another permissions repair and compared the two lists. The first list had 6 permission repairs that were similar to "Repaired 'System/Library/PreferencePanes/.Displays/V1/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/French.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib”; should be -rw-r--r-- ; they are -rwxr-xr-x'" but with different languages. It also had 11 repairs that were similar to Repaired “System/Library/PreferencePanes/.Displays/V1/Displays.prefPane/Contents/Resources/da.lproj/DisplaysPref.nib” except with variations on the "da.lproj"

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users