Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: The Macalope Daily: Throwing the bathtub out with the bath water - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Macalope Daily: Throwing the bathtub out with the bath water

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Daily: Throwing the bathtub out with the bath water here

#2 User is offline   drdreric 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

"... just put on a website and ask people to read in a browser."

Darn, if tablets just had a browser THEN they might be useful....

#3 User is offline   bferrari 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

I subscribed to The Dailey when it came out, but the user experience was horrible, so I let it expire. On the other hand, I love The Economist's utility and ease of navigation. I'd like to see other mags adopt their model for delivering content.

#4 User is offline   Mike_Scherer 

• Pip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

I wouldn't support a Murdock venture of any kind no matter how good it was. He's an untrustworthy and poisonous influence on our civilization. Maybe I'm not alone...

#5 User is offline   lkrupp 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

I wouldn't support a Murdock venture of any kind no matter how good it was. He's an untrustworthy and poisonous influence on our civilization. Maybe I'm not alone...

I agree, outfits like MSNBC, NPR, CBS, ABC and other institutions that are a poisonous influence on our civilization should not be supported.

Oh, I'm sorry, you meant institutions that don't conform to your political ideology should not be supported. My bad.

#6 User is offline   spanky 

• PipPip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

If you read through the comments below salmom's article, you'll see the same response resonated, it's the fault of those writing the apps, not the device. Salmom's logic is the ride is bad because you bought an economy car, while neglecting the fact you're racing down pothole laden dirt roads. His article is nothing more than link bait. I'm glad no one fell for it *cough* Macalope *cough*

#7 User is offline   tatilsever 

• PipPip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

I subscribed to The Dailey when it came out, but the user experience was horrible, so I let it expire. On the other hand, I love The Economist's utility and ease of navigation. I'd like to see other mags adopt their model for delivering content.

Economist was awesome when it came out. Offline access, fairly quick navigation, small issue size in MB's, optional full audio version... All that was awesome. Since then, they have not made any improvements though. The app still does not allow bookmarking or saving an article. It does not let the reader select a word to look up in dictionary or wikipedia. That also means no copy/paste, which would not be that bad if it offered some other way to save or share content (e.g. create a public link to email or to post on Facebook or Twitter), but alas it does not. They are also missing an opportunity by not offering a window into their blog network through the app. They need a better digital strategy.

#8 User is offline   Rycho 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

How wrong was Salmon's piece?

"Weapons-grade wrong"!!! Heh heh.

#9 User is offline   robogoboqfy1 

• PipPip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

It starts to sound like The Daily was some sort of digital publication sabotage, as if they intentionally went over budget and delivered a crappy experience, then fed the story to this guy to demonstrate that the world still needs print journalism.

#10 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Felix must really respect me. There are all kinds of reasons why The Daily is shutting down. But the main thing IMO is the rapidly changing economics of journalism. Are news radio and newspapers doing any better?

#11 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

It starts to sound like The Daily was some sort of digital publication sabotage, as if they intentionally went over budget and delivered a crappy experience, then fed the story to this guy to demonstrate that the world still needs print journalism.

Please loosen your tinfoil hat. Salmon is comparing tablet-only news apps to the news content available on the web and suggesting that they are doomed because what's available on the web is better, not that we should all go back to reading news printed on dead trees.

#12 User is offline   Spock 

• PipPip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

It starts to sound like The Daily was some sort of digital publication sabotage, as if they intentionally went over budget and delivered a crappy experience, then fed the story to this guy to demonstrate that the world still needs print journalism. Please loosen your tinfoil hat. Salmon is comparing tablet-only news apps to the news content available on the web and suggesting that they are doomed because what's available on the web is better, not that we should all go back to reading news printed on dead trees.

Time to loosen your tie. Sounds like it is cutting off blood supply to your brain!

robogoboqfy1 was being facetious. Your 'sarcasm detector' needs a tune-up.

#13 User is offline   Spock 

• PipPip

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I wouldn't support a Murdock venture of any kind no matter how good it was. He's an untrustworthy and poisonous influence on our civilization. Maybe I'm not alone... I agree, outfits like MSNBC, NPR, CBS, ABC and other institutions that are a poisonous influence on our civilization should not be supported. Oh, I'm sorry, you meant institutions that don't conform to your political ideology should not be supported. My bad.

Anybody who equates Murdoch's publications with mainstream news organizations like NPR and ABC needs therapy.

#14 User is offline   RipRagged 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

Weapons Grade Wrong would be a cool name for a Thrash Metal band.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users