• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for iPad mini vs. Nexus 7: The debate here

#2 User is offline   spanky 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

Where are you buying your iPad minis? I see them from Apple for$329, but you state the starting price at $499. If you need a couple dozen more, let me know, I'll cut you a deal at $479. They will ship in about a week ;)

#3 User is offline   brucehahn 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

The main reason I wold need a lot of memory on a tablet is for movies and photos. Contrary to your statement, it is very easy to attach a flash drive or SD card to a Nexus 7 and then either stream or download from it to the Nexus 7. You use a OTG cable and a $2 program called Nexus Media Importer. So when I need extra memory on my Nexus 7 for movies, I have a 16gb Nexus 7 (with even 150 apps, some of which are 1gb+, and 2 movies and I still have 6+ gb of memory left) I attached a 16gb flash drive of movies and my Nexus 7 acts like it has 32gb of memory.

My Nexus & is my first non-Apple computer purchase in 20 yrs and I like it very much. I think the screen is great. I feel the size is better to hold and carry around than the iPad Mini. After a lot of hrs of search, I found apps that were equal to my IOS apps on my iPod Touch. I also like the GPS that come standard. Now that I finally found the apps I need (I tried almost 300 apps) I feel the Nexus 7 is the better tablet for me even is they were the same price as the iPad Mini. It is fine with me if other people feel differently.

#4 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

I was able to find an iPad Mini with LTE (Verizon) yesterday at a Verizon corporate store. They were the only place around who had any stock, and even theirs was very limited (4 total).

Coming from the Retina 3rd Gen. iPad, I can see the difference in the screen. However, I don't think it's as bad as many sites make it out to be. Compared to the iPad 2, the Mini has a sharper screen. The Mini feels like it's in between, which is fine for me.

One thing I will say, iPhone apps look pretty lousy when doubled, but they're usable. I'll have to see how it works when I try out the TomTom app on it. I would use Apple Maps, but I rarely activate data on my iPads.

#5 User is offline   Hologram 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

@ MP

Re: "... I think the Nexus 7 is the far better value"

It might have been your intention by stating "...I think..." but not immediately evident that you meant that the Nexus 7 is the "far better value" for your needs and expectations as well as for prospective users whose needs and expectations are similar to yours.

I just wanted to clarify that since there appears to be a tendency among many consumers and technology reporters to use price and value interchangeably.

Price is a standalone figure whereas value is a ratio and thus needs a denominator, notably usefulness for a particular set of tasks and needs.

It is entirely possible that both devices are the "best value", just for different needs.

#6 User is offline   KrasniOktabr 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

The lack of a usable file system on the iPad leaves me cold. Sure, it works fine for something like the iPhone but how is anybody supposed to do any real work on the iPad when getting to the files is a big bag of hurt?

The all or nothing restore from back-up is also the most ridiculous idea ever. What, if I need to restore 1 file I have to write over all my other data?

#7 User is offline   cincyflygrrl 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

I have an iPad mini (32GB, wi-fi) and an MBA-11 (i5, 4GB, 128). Since neither is Retina equipped I don't notice, and therefore don't miss, the screen resolution deficiencies of which the authors speak.

The mini was purchased primarily as a reading device -- it's well suited to that role -- and as an easy-to-use Web apparatus while watching television. It fills both those rolls magnificently.

#8 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

View PostKrasniOktabr, on 07 December 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

The lack of a usable file system on the iPad leaves me cold. Sure, it works fine for something like the iPhone but how is anybody supposed to do any real work on the iPad when getting to the files is a big bag of hurt?

The all or nothing restore from back-up is also the most ridiculous idea ever. What, if I need to restore 1 file I have to write over all my other data?

Getting to the files is only really an issue if your "real work" involves working on single files with multiple applications. That's certainly something some people do, but most people work on files exclusively within a single program, which works fine with the iOS system. Exporting files from iOS applications is pretty easy to get the final product to where ever it needs to be as well.

#9 User is offline   macandjacks 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

I picked up the 8GB Nexus 7 on craigslist for $140 shortly after Google discontinued it (making 16GB the base model). The iPad mini is very appealing, and the low resolution didn't seem to bothersome when I was playing with one in the store- even with reading apps- but for the difference in price, the Nexus was a no-brainer.

We have a first-gen iPad that has been commandeered by my son for games and Netflix, but for my uses- news and book reading, mail, web browsing, and some video- the Nexus 7 is clearly the better value. For GarageBand, Aperture, and other productivity apps I use my MacBook Pro with SSD and 16GB RAM (call me old fashioned).

As for cellular connectivity on my tablets, I find that I rarely need or want it, and when I do I can easily tether them (or my Mac for that matter) to my Nexus 4 phone. It's a far cheaper method than paying up front for cellular hardware on the tablet and another data account. I'm mindful of the data consumed (great tools for tracking that in Android) and so far have stayed under the radar with my carrier.

#10 User is offline   ptram 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

I've only seen the mini at a store (mine is still on the way), but I can't get this idea of pixelated text. Text looked quite fine, actually. And I have an iPhone 4 and could compare the mini with a nearby iPad 4.

I tried to see the pixels when reading my iPad 2, featuring a display with a lower resolution, and I could only see them when closing an eye and going very near to the screen - not at a natural distance for reading. I've 20/20, so it should not be a matter of sight problems.

I'm starting to think that suggestion is playing a big role here. Also, I didn't find the display of the Nexus 7 so impressive, but this might be for the odd background color and bad lighting in the shop. Anyway, I wouldn't want to read books in any of the Andoid readers I could try.

#11 User is offline   jcwelch 

• Writer
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

"I find it impossible to recommend the iPad mini, except for two sets of shoppers: people who want an iPad because of the brand’s cachet or those who want one because they’re already committed to the Apple ecosystem, and in both cases want the least-expensive model they can buy."

Really?

You know, I get the cheap "apple customers are brand conscious nit-wit" shot/implications are easy, but really? Couldn't you resist that temptation, just once?

Because while I disagreed with a lot of melissa's points up to that paragraph, she at least did a good job of talking up the reasons she likes the Nexus more than the iPad in the way one would expect: "These are the things I like about it, and I think they are an advantage over the iPad". I didn't agree with all of them, but at least they were decent points.

And then that paragraph, and it's just gone to generic android fan cheap shot.

The equally silly riposte is "Yes, well, Android devices are nice if you like dinking around with filesystems, and pretending google is open, and regular bathing isn't a high priority, but for people who just want to get work done..."

Both are lame cheap shots against platform customers, and seriously make me put whomever uses them into the arsehelm bin.

No, people don't just buy Apple kit to wave it in people's faces, nor do we just buy apple kit because we're so trapped by the apple ecosystem that we can't even consider something else.

Maybe, just maybe, we have equally valid reasons for buying and recommending iOS devices that aren't based around vanity or idiocy, just as people have reasons for buying and recommending Android or Windows devices that aren't based around an inability to care about anything but software licenses and being a corporate tool.

I am glad that Chris was able to resist the temptation. Maybe next time the Android person will too.

#12 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

View Postspanky, on 07 December 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

Where are you buying your iPad minis? I see them from Apple for$329, but you state the starting price at $499. If you need a couple dozen more, let me know, I'll cut you a deal at $479. They will ship in about a week ;)

Something goofy happened with pulling the price from our product database. The blue link at the bottom of the piece now offers the correct starting price at $329.

#13 User is offline   metu 

• PipPip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

@jcwelch

Completely agree.
While much of this is subjective and personal choices I thought it was well done and an interesting read until... Why?

Let's assume one wants it for the "cachet", or "cool" as most droidites would say.
So? When did adults suddenly become concerned about what other people want and, more importantly, why they want it?

The only people I know of that concern themselves with what others think is "cool" is teenage girls. And they're all over it. Adults? Uh, not so much. We tend to buy something for whatever reason we choose. Being adults and all. And we tend to care less what our neighbor or neighbor's neighbor might think. Being adults and all.

Ms. Perenson nor Mr. Been look to be in that "teenage girl" category. So, Ms. Perenson, what are you on about? Is that somehow less valid than the droidite who wants it because of the all the new "cool" features? The phablet size? The awesome specs? Is there some kind of list somewhere that checks off the "set of shopper" types so we can put them all in a narrow little bag of over simplification?

#14 User is offline   SofieDG 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

Besides some apps I've gotten somewhat dependent on, one of the most compelling features for me in Apple's mobile hardware line-up is AirPlay.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users