Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: New 27-inch iMac orders won't ship until January - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New 27-inch iMac orders won't ship until January

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Post your comments for New 27-inch iMac orders won't ship until January here

#2 User is offline   JamesHunkins 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I don't know if it is so much as a supply constraint as it is a manufacturing line limit on a new product, especially considering all the other new systems that they are building.

I ordered my 27" at noon ET the day that they started taking orders. Its delivery was 2-3 weeks and it is scheduled for arrive in Canada Dec 27-Jan 3. Then one article later that day had the shipping date at 3-4 weeks. If they are now saying 3.5 weeks, that is basically where it was at the end of the first day of orders.

In other words they are keeping up with what appears to be a steady 'new' demand on the 27".
I would also expect that they are putting priority for manufacturing towards the 21" which would more likely be the holiday gift model volume king.

So - basically the only story is that they are getting orders and shipping. And if they are shipping high volumes of the 21" then they are having a very good holiday season.

You might want to look into that and do a story that really is news.

#3 User is offline   LexFriedman 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

You might want to look into that and do a story that really is news.

Apple told customers the new 27-inch iMac would arrive in December. If you didn't already order one, that's not true for you: You'll need to wait until January. Too many of our readers, that's news.

#4 User is offline   sbetz6 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'm still wondering why anyone would want a new Imac without a superdrive?

#5 User is offline   lhudd 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Agreed. Shedding the extra thickness does nothing for the machine. Still takes exactly the same desktop real estate as the last one. Well, until you add the extra external disc drive. I see the benefit of shedding the drive on a laptop, but on a desktop, it's stupid. I guess Apple wanted to make an extra $20 bucks of profit by leaving it out.

#6 User is offline   stoster40 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I did my preorder via an Apple authorized reseller because I could get a better deal overall. The status shows as backordered and never showed an estimated deliver day. Will this delay cause an additional delays through people who did not order through Apple?

#7 User is offline   colemantjc 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I thought about buying a new iMac to replace my 2009 27" model but opted to upgrade the system to include a 240GB SDD for my OS and apps. The machine is faster than it has ever been. Start up is 15 seconds and all apps start with one bounce. I may get another 3 years out of it. All for under $300.

#8 User is offline   dawgboi 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'm still wondering why anyone would want a new Imac without a superdrive?

i used to think that too. But a year later with my MacBook Air, and I'm not missing my dvd drive at all. Instead I use thumb drives for handing over large files, or I backup on USB hard drives.

#9 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I use my home optical drive daily, and will continue to do so for quite a while. And at work, I use the optical drive regularly, but less frequently. I really don't want external peripherals messing things up at either location, and the iMac thickness was just fine at 1". The insanely-great thinness, in my opinion, and for my needs, is more insane than great. We'll see how they sell. BestBuy and Walmart still sell a lot of music and movies on optical, and many of us have large libraries that we do not intend to abandon, nor spend time ripping to a less-useful hard drive.

#10 User is offline   justamacguy 

• PipPip

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

If your not missing the optical drive, your not making your living off of our computer. Four new clients this week and all wanted video on DVD. Shipped over 50 discs in the past 2 day with clients materials on them.

The new iMac is a desk eater. You have a screen, your drive stacks, your external optical disc in their accompanying cases and with the connecting cables and power cables. Looks pretty much like the PC on the other desk with it's screen and CPU (which houses the extra drives, optical disc etc.)

Apple new mac is not a space saver unless all you are doing is email and web surfing.

#11 User is offline   tuliptree 

• Pip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Today I need a new 27" for my work (photographer) and no cd/dvd slot?
Plus I cannot even get one right away?
Then why discontinue the old ones so fast?

#12 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Postjustamacguy, on 08 December 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

If your not missing the optical drive, your not making your living off of our computer. Four new clients this week and all wanted video on DVD. Shipped over 50 discs in the past 2 day with clients materials on them.

Not everyone's living involves producing optical media… Mine certainly doesn't.

#13 User is offline   mortea 

• Pip

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

I use 2 macs, one at home and one at the office, both for work. I've had the same DVD half sticking out of my home machine for like a year and I can't remember when I last used the one at work. The only thing that makes me nervous is at home if I need to install something that only comes on disk. At work we have an external we pass around or you can just share the dvd drive on the server or on another Mac..

#14 User is offline   berrysharpie 

• Pip

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

If your not missing the optical drive, your not making your living off of our computer. Four new clients this week and all wanted video on DVD. Shipped over 50 discs in the past 2 day with clients materials on them. The new iMac is a desk eater. You have a screen, your drive stacks, your external optical disc in their accompanying cases and with the connecting cables and power cables. Looks pretty much like the PC on the other desk with it's screen and CPU (which houses the extra drives, optical disc etc.) Apple new mac is not a space saver unless all you are doing is email and web surfing.

Not quite true... I make my living off of my computer and never touch a DVD. Not all livings using computers require burning discs. Just saying...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users