Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Power Mac to Intel Max What Power Mac (OS 10.4.11) will work with new Intel Mac

#1 User is offline   GGKURTGG 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I am considering (reluctantly) buying a new Mac. My Power Mac is about 7 yrs. old and many sites no longer support OS 10.4.11.

What I need to know is which of my apps will function on an Intel Mac. For example

Filemaker Pro v.10.0v3,
Appleworks 6.2.9,
Quick Time Player 7.6.4, etc.

Also is there a app that will allow me to use Classic?

Is there a website out there that can give me this info?

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

View PostGGKURTGG, on 07 December 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

I am considering (reluctantly) buying a new Mac. My Power Mac is about 7 yrs. old and many sites no longer support OS 10.4.11.

What I need to know is which of my apps will function on an Intel Mac. For example

Filemaker Pro v.10.0v3,
Appleworks 6.2.9,

For the 3 you listed it's not such much a matter of whether they'll work on an Intel Mac as whether they'll work on whatever Intel-based version of Mac OS X you're running. QT Player 7.x works. AppleWorks won't work on 10.7 or higher. FMP 10 works on 10.7; not sure about 10.8.

#3 User is offline   GGKURTGG 

• PipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

View Postbastion, on 11 December 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

Filemaker Pro v.10.0v3,
Appleworks 6.2.9,

For the 3 you listed it's not such much a matter of whether they'll work on an Intel Mac as whether they'll work on whatever Intel-based version of Mac OS X you're running. QT Player 7.x works. AppleWorks won't work on 10.7 or higher. FMP 10 works on 10.7; not sure about 10.8.

#4 User is offline   GGKURTGG 

• PipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostGGKURTGG, on 11 December 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Filemaker Pro v.10.0v3
Appleworks 6.2.9,

Thanks. I remember seeing a post here citing a download app that allows use of Classic. I bookmarked it, but now cannot access the site. Anything else out there?

#5 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

View PostGGKURTGG, on 11 December 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

View PostGGKURTGG, on 11 December 2012 - 07:39 AM, said:

Filemaker Pro v.10.0v3
Appleworks 6.2.9,

Thanks. I remember seeing a post here citing a download app that allows use of Classic. I bookmarked it, but now cannot access the site. Anything else out there?

For running pre-OS X apps, you'd be looking at an app called SheepShaver. http://sheepshaver.cebix.net

For OS X apps that aren't Intel-native, you could try Virtualbox. Apparently some people have gotten it to work; I haven't tried. http://virtualbox-sn...rd.blogspot.com

While I know it's not an option for all cases, where possible (like with AppleWorks) you really should be migrating to newer applications and data formats.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users