• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for Best Free Mac Gifts here

#2 User is offline   piratepinion 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for the free tips! Pretty basic, but wondering how many people don't have their bases covered?

Fun to see how tip 6 kind of contradicts tip 5... ;)

#3 User is offline   ConnorMeeblings 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

I kind of like SkyDrive a bit better because of it having more storage than Google Drive and Dropbox and it's desktop client which works really well. It's 7GB but hey its best to stick with what you know.

#4 User is offline   Flavum 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

Free gifts? Isn't that like "safe haven" or "tuna fish"? Look up "pleonasm" for some grammatical fun.

#5 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

Not in this context. The "free" in "free gifts" is referring to the giver not having to spend money, not the recipient.

If this were in context of the recipient it would be correct.

#6 User is offline   KrasniOktabr 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

They won't thank you if iOS 6 messes up their wifi like it has for so many.

#7 User is offline   fark 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

I've stopped doing things like this, except maybe for showing them how to rip CDs, because forever after if anything goes wrong they link it back to the "favour" I did them, and demand I fix it. I showed one friend how to migrate their iTunes to another drive, and so far that has morphed into my being responsible for moving their files to a new Macbook Air, setting up their Time Machine, and providing tech support on demand for anything that ever goes wrong because it must be because of something I did.

Ever since I just recommend the Genius bar. Which, I acknowledge, won't work if there's no Apple store near you.

#8 User is offline   monstasaurous 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

View Postpiratepinion, on 10 December 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Thanks for the free tips! Pretty basic, but wondering how many people don't have their bases covered?

Fun to see how tip 6 kind of contradicts tip 5... ;)

You'd be surprised how many people don't have a dropbox or similar backup for files you might want to access anywhere.

#9 User is offline   choiceweb 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

This article brings to mind the idea too if you give someone not tech savvy a high tech gift, expect to help them set it up. I gave a relative an external HD to use with Time Machine and for whatever reason, he couldn't get it to work. One of my Christmas projects now for me.

#10 User is offline   TheBum 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm questioning why Twitter was singled out for social media. It seems to me that there are more non-nerds on Facebook than on Twitter (I'm one of the few nerds not on Twitter but on Facebook).

#11 User is offline   pawhite524 

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Free gifts? Isn't that like "safe haven" or "tuna fish"? Look up "pleonasm" for some grammatical fun.

While I agree with *hayesk* about the "free gifts" many kudos to you for "pleonasm." Excellent word to know to those of us who find unique words fascinating (I know, I know but even shock treatments could not help me!).

#12 User is offline   iCrunch 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

They won't thank you if iOS 6 messes up their wifi like it has for so many.

In that case, perform an even bigger task by downgrading them to iOS 5.1.1. :D

#13 User is offline   phdtop 

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

On my iPad 3, the layout of this article is poor; for example, there are small icons on the left-hand edge which are half cut off. I have no idea what they are; pinching and zooming and various other manipulations don't help.

On my iPhone 4, it's even worse. The first time I went to this page, I couldn't see any of the recommendations; none of the screens showed, and the forward and backward navigation triangles didn't work. Once I accessed it on my iPad, and thus discovered that one moves from screen to screen by swiping directly on the image, I was able to get it to work on my iPhone a little bit. Now, even after force quitting Safari on my iPhone, it works for a few screens, and then freezes or various aspects of it stop working. Something is seriously wrong with the code underlying this page. Sometimes simpler is better!

#14 User is offline   monstasaurous 

• PipPip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

View Postphdtop, on 11 December 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

On my iPad 3, the layout of this article is poor; for example, there are small icons on the left-hand edge which are half cut off. I have no idea what they are; pinching and zooming and various other manipulations don't help.

On my iPhone 4, it's even worse. The first time I went to this page, I couldn't see any of the recommendations; none of the screens showed, and the forward and backward navigation triangles didn't work. Once I accessed it on my iPad, and thus discovered that one moves from screen to screen by swiping directly on the image, I was able to get it to work on my iPhone a little bit. Now, even after force quitting Safari on my iPhone, it works for a few screens, and then freezes or various aspects of it stop working. Something is seriously wrong with the code underlying this page. Sometimes simpler is better!

Terribly sorry about that, we're still working on a better interface for mobile devices. I'll be sure to pass along your comments, and thanks for taking the time out of your day to comment!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users