• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Post your comments for When Back to My Mac won't here

#2 User is offline   nokin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

I have been using "Back to My Mac" for screen sharing when out of town with little problem until the the 10.8.2 update this fall. It still works fine, unless I have the remote Mac's screen locked with a password. The locked screen is displayed after accessing the Mac, but it is nearly impossible to enter the entire password before the password is mysteriously "deleted." Occasionally (1 in 50 attempts), I can manage to get the entire password entered and I can access the unlocked screen. There is no problem if I don't keep the screen locked (not a good option). Previously (before the 10.8.2 update), you didn't need to enter the screen password after accessing the computer. Anybody have this problem or have a solution?

#3 User is offline   fark 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm still on Lion, v10.7.5, and all I get is an alert badge on the Back to My Mac icon and an iCloud server not responding.

My Time Capsule was correctly configured, but just in case I deleted my ID and recreated it.

I followed the steps listed here. It turned out there's 3 keychain tokens for Back to My Mac, which I deleted. I've recreated them, and I still get the same error.

I logged onto the web version of iCloud, and my Apple ID works, so I have no idea what's going on here.

Does this only work with an icloud.com email address? My apple ID is still a "mac.com" address.

#4 User is offline   NickS9quf 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

There's no need to sign in with your icloud credentials into your airport in order for BtmM to work. The purpose of signing in is to be able to share USB connected peripherals and/or be able to configure your AirPort from across the internet via BtmM.

BtmM requires your router - be it an AirPort or other type - to support either UPnP or NAT-PMP. That's all.

#5 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostNickS9quf, on 10 December 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

There's no need to sign in with your icloud credentials into your airport in order for BtmM to work

Apple tells us:

If Back to My Mac isn't working and you use an AirPort base station, here are instructions to turn Back to My Mac on.

• Open the AirPort Utility (in /Applications/Utilities).
• Click the AirPort device and then click Edit.
• Select the Base Station tab.
• Click the + button in the Back to My Mac section and enter your iCloud username and password and sign in.
• Click Update to save changes.
• A green indicator will show under status when a connection is established.
• Quit the Airport Utility.

#6 User is offline   NickS9quf 

• PipPip

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

NickS9quf said
There's no need to sign in with your icloud credentials into your airport in order for BtmM to work http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1552 If Back to My Mac isn't working and you use an AirPort base station, here are instructions to turn Back to My Mac on. â�,�¢ Open the AirPort Utility (in /Applications/Utilities). â�,�¢ Click the AirPort device and then click Edit. â�,�¢ Select the Base Station tab. â�,�¢ Click the + button in the Back to My Mac section and enter your iCloud username and password and sign in. â�,�¢ Click Update to save changes. â�,�¢ A green indicator will show under status when a connection is established. â�,�¢ Quit the Airport Utility.

Explain to me how BtmM works perfectly well without doing any of those things. My parents have an AirPort Extreme as their router, and are not signed into it. BtmM works perfectly.

#7 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostNickS9quf, on 10 December 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Explain to me how BtmM works perfectly well without doing any of those things. My parents have an AirPort Extreme as their router, and are not signed into it. BtmM works perfectly.

This is something you'll want to take up with Apple. Get back to us when you do. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

#8 User is offline   GlenF 

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

NickS9quf said
Explain to me how BtmM works perfectly well without doing any of those things. My parents have an AirPort Extreme as their router, and are not signed into it. BtmM works perfectly. This is something you'll want to take up with Apple. Get back to us when you do. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

How's this: UPnP and/or NAT-PMP allows the ports and routing to be set up to allow BtmM traffic to reach your Mac, but that doesn't help if your Mac goes to sleep. The AirPort configuration allows it to act as Bonjour sleep proxy (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774) for BtmM and provide the Wake on Demand signal to wake the Mac for the incoming BtmM connection. So, best practice is to have the AirPort configured for BtmM.

#9 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostGlenF, on 12 December 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

How's this:

Excellent! Thanks.

#10 User is offline   jet39 

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Why can't I get Back To My Mac to work in both directions between my 2011 Mac Book Air and my 2012 Mac Mini? The network uses a Time Capsule. Everything works when connecting from the Mini to the Air, but the reverse is not the case, none of the Mini's drives are visible, and the screen sharing option is not available. I've tried the measures already covered in the article, everything seems to be configured correctly using my iCloud account, I'm at a loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#11 User is offline   Czarembo 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Is there any way for an IOS device to access the Mac in my home? This would seem ideal and of course, highly logical to permit access from IOS devices.

Also, while I'm thinking about it. I was in California over Christmas and left my Airport router on. I could see it from California on my Macbook. However, when I'm back home in Washington, but outside the house, I can't see it from my Macbook. Any insights here on why I could in California remotely, but not in Washington remotely?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users