• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for Buying Guide: 2012 Macs here

#2 User is offline   mconn02 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I had two thoughts reading this really nice, concise article.

I believe that your laptop summary would have been improved to include a nod to the price/performance-feature-set of the i7 13" MacBook Pro at $1499. This is a unit that is half the price of the best performing MacBooks, with a comparatively small sacrifice in performance when compared to equally priced models, but includes much greater connectivity and features. I'm not suggesting this is the end-all model, just that for consumers that cannot afford a $2500+ laptop, this model comes closest, IMO, to an affordable, very portable desktop replacement for all but the most demanding users.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that the Intel integrated HD 4000 video subsystem is the first such implementation that is actually a reasonable option for casual gamers. Unlike the integrated chipsets of that past, this will actually play modern 3D games at modest settings. It certainly doesn't compare to a performance, dedicated video card, but it is serviceable, without the disappointment of finding that half your software wont run reasonably or at all due to the weak Sandy bridge and earlier options.

Thank you for the article. I enjoyed the review and some future shopping tips!

#3 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Good recap, but not one mention of the dismal to non-existent upgradability of almost all of these models. For some users this might be important.
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#4 User is offline   mconn02 

• Pip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Good recap, but not one mention of the dismal to non-existent upgradability of almost all of these models. For some users this might be important.

I think that is a really good point. I think that for some time now Apple has taken an approach towards their computers that is more consistent with consumer electronics devices, and less like traditional PCs.

#5 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

For the retina MacBook Pro you suggested using a "USB to Ethernet" adapter, but I would like to say the THUNDERBOLT TO ETHERNET device does a much better job, and is noticeably faster in my testing using a MACBOOK AIR.

#6 User is offline   wgretter 

• Pip

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

You would definitely want to order your Air with 8GB of memory! You can't add more later.

#7 User is online   sunnyoes 

• Pip

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Your MacBook Air comments have huge errors!

I ave a mid-2012 11 inch MacBook Air 2GhZ not 1.7 & 500 GB SSD and 8 GB RAM which you did not mention as an option!

#8 User is offline   pcbogert 

• Pip

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

"he Mac mini is Apple’s entry-level desktop Mac. It is slower than Apple’s other desktop computers, the iMac and Mac Pro, but it remains fast enough for general-purpose use."

My question is this: If I spend $799 on the quad core i7, add an existing SSD drive, and third party memory and a monitor, I'm at about the same cost as the entry level iMac. But it will have a faster drive, more memory, and an i7 instead of the 21'5" iMac's i5 processor. It would seem the only negative is the graphics card, but for everyday use (word processing, web browsing, spreadsheets, iPhoto) is that a big deal?

#9 User is offline   davidgolani 

• Pip

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

"he Mac mini is Apple’s entry-level desktop Mac. It is slower than Apple’s other desktop computers, the iMac and Mac Pro, but it remains fast enough for general-purpose use." My question is this: If I spend $799 on the quad core i7, add an existing SSD drive, and third party memory and a monitor, I'm at about the same cost as the entry level iMac. But it will have a faster drive, more memory, and an i7 instead of the 21'5" iMac's i5 processor. It would seem the only negative is the graphics card, but for everyday use (word processing, web browsing, spreadsheets, iPhoto) is that a big deal?

The Mac Mini should have been doubled in height and had an easy door for expandability. The Mac Cube was a great idea, killed by high price tag and bad engineering. Apple should bring it back, and put a fan in it this time.

#10 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Should be emphasized that however great all the MacBooks are, their sealed in batteries are total deal breakers for anyone needing extended battery endurance. Also, Appleā€™s inexplicable and indefensible refusal to license the MagSafe connector further complicates a workaround for those otherwise willing to endure the clumsiness of a tethered external battery.

#11 User is offline   heavyD 

• Pip

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

#12 User is offline   heavyD 

• Pip

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

Macworld was wrong about Air not being able to upgrade storage. It is the memory that cannot be upgraded. If you plan to keep the laptop longer than a couple years, max it out.

#13 User is offline   TheHeeNow 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

The $799 Mac mini is far from the slowest Mac. To get an iMac with a quad-core i7 will cost $900 more.

A discrete graphics processor only matters to gamers, and neither Mac is of interest to them. The Intel HD4000 works just fine with both Photoshop and Premier, not to mention iMovie.

Get it right next time. That $900 can buy a lot of monitor, far beyond those in iMacs.

#14 User is offline   brilor 

• PipPip

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

Noticed the video at the top of this web page doesn't load because it requires Flash. Would have thought MacWorld had migrated away from Flash.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users