Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ITunes Burn To a DVD

#1 User is offline   burtsr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

I tried to burn a play list to a DVD. While ITunes burned the songs it did it by creating folders by the Genre, then Artist, then the Album, then the song making the songs three folders deep.

All I wanted was a list of songs. NO FOLDERS. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

View Postburtsr, on 13 December 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

I tried to burn a play list to a DVD. While ITunes burned the songs it did it by creating folders by the Genre, then Artist, then the Album, then the song making the songs three folders deep.

All I wanted was a list of songs. NO FOLDERS. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing?

Thanks

Need to step back a little just to make sure which path to be on: Are you trying to create a data disc that you can use in another computer and perhaps a consumer audio player that knows about MP3 and AAC, or are you trying to create an audio CD that will play in virtually any CD player created ever?

#3 User is offline   burtsr 

• PipPip

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm trying to create a DVD with my songs from the playlist so I can transfer those songs to the audio section of my GPS. You can almost think of the DVD as a back-up of those songs. Just a data disk.

If I transfer a smaller play list to a CD it does it fine. Because the play list contains about 1,100 songs I wanted to put then on a DVD so I don't have to use a bunch of CDs.

What I'm after is just a list of songs with no folders.

This post has been edited by burtsr: 13 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

#4 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:32 AM

View Postburtsr, on 13 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

I'm trying to create a DVD with my songs from the playlist so I can transfer those songs to the audio section of my GPS. You can almost think of the DVD as a back-up of those songs. Just a data disk.

If I transfer a smaller play list to a CD it does it fine. Because the play list contains about 1,100 songs I wanted to put then on a DVD so I don't have to use a bunch of CDs.

Curiosity: How is your playlist sorted? I haven't burned a CD from iTunes in a while, but my recollection is that including a folder structure or not was controlled by whether the playlist was sorted in a way that implied the hierarchy was important.

#5 User is offline   burtsr 

• PipPip

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postbastion, on 14 December 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

Curiosity: How is your playlist sorted? I haven't burned a CD from iTunes in a while, but my recollection is that including a folder structure or not was controlled by whether the playlist was sorted in a way that implied the hierarchy was important.

It burns CDs just fine. It was when I tried to burn a DVD.

#6 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

View Postburtsr, on 16 December 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postbastion, on 14 December 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

It burns CDs just fine. It was when I tried to burn a DVD.

Oikay. Now what's the answer to the question I actually asked? (The point is not CD vs DVD. The point is that when burning to optical media the sort order can have an impact on whether a folder hierarchy is created or not.)

#7 User is offline   burtsr 

• PipPip

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

Sorry, the playlist is sorted by song title. That is what I expected when I burned the DVD.

This post has been edited by burtsr: 17 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

#8 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

View Postburtsr, on 17 December 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Sorry, the playlist is sorted by song title. That is what I expected when I burned the DVD.

If you right-click or control-click on the playlist name there should be an item in the context menu that reads "Copy to Play Order". If you select that, the left-most column in the track list - showing the "native" order of the playlist - will be updated to reflect the order the tracks are in at the time. If you then sort by the column, you should be able to burn an optical disc with no folder hierarchy.

#9 User is offline   burtsr 

• PipPip

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

That's the answer I was looking for. Thank You very much.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users