Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Google Maps for iPhone could violate European law - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Google Maps for iPhone could violate European law

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

Post your comments for Google Maps for iPhone could violate European law here

#2 User is offline   JohnBarnes 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

"The collection of location information is done only with the consent of users," the Google spokesman told Webwereld regarding the Dutch findings, adding that users can choose to switch this off at any time.

Why is it so hard for companies to make these things opt-IN?

#3 User is offline   Backpacker 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

"The collection of location information is done only with the consent of users," the Google spokesman told Webwereld regarding the Dutch findings, adding that users can choose to switch this off at any time. Why is it so hard for companies to make these things opt- IN ?

It isn't hard at all but it's what companies prefer because most people don't bother to opt-out. It's the same reason why most companies like to do mail-in rebates instead of a discount at the register – because most people don't bother to mail in the rebate forms.

#4 User is offline   snagitseven 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

If you let it go by without opting out when opening the app for the first time, it takes some work later to find the opt-out switch. It's buried in the My Profile (top right head icon in the Map screen), then tapping the gear icon, then selecting "about, terms, privacy" option, then selecting "Location data collection", then finally, selecting the off switch. Wow. Google really doesn't want you to find this and turn it off, do they?

#5 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

It's the same reason why most companies like to do mail-in rebates instead of a discount at the register – because most people don't bother to mail in the rebate forms.

I still say this was one of the reasons Circuit City went under. They were the mail-in rebates king.

If I see something with a mail-in rebate, I usually keep looking elsewhere.

#6 User is online   WAMBO 

• Pip

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Here’s a funny:
“because geolocation data are sensitive personal data.” According to the CBP, TomTom could use the location data to deduce where someone supposedly lives.
..or TomTom can just lock at your ‘Take me Home” location entry instead of triangulating and subtracting, then adding locations to deduce where you live. Duh!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users