• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Post your comments for The best MFPs you can buy today here

#2 User is offline   ZombieReagan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

I prefer b&w lasers because I primarily print text and some simple graphics, and b&w laser printers by far offer the best quality for the lowest price-per-page. I wish you had listed some printers that used b&w laser engines.

#3 User is offline   perdygood 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Absolutely right, Zombie! At these price points, there's no excuse for not going laser. In my experience, Brother makes some excellent low-priced B&W and color laser MFPs, with excellent support for Mac users.

#4 User is offline   ddhatfi 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Check back in 12, 15, and 18 months on the HP printers you recommended. I bought the HP Officejet 6500 (E709n) about 16 months ago. After 14 months, just after the warranty ran out of course, the printer just stopped printing black ink - only black. Changed (expensive) cartridges, followed procedures in the manual, went to their tech support page, which was useless. No human tech support available at all for a printer out of warranty. Went to the user forum pages, which HP doesn't monitor or care about, and found hundreds of users with the same problem.

One suggestion by a supposed HP technician working on his own time, was to soak the printhead in warm water until the water was clear, wait until it air-dried completely and replace, and all should be good. Miraculous results, for about 8 or so people, not for anyone else. I bought a new (expensive) printhead and was running out of time for a functioning home office printer. Even the new printhead didn't solve the problem, with new cartridges, so neither of those was the problem, and I wasn't even sure what else it could be, since there was nothing else between the ink and the paper but those two parts.

Must be a software issue. Those of us in the forum tried everything we could think of related to software possible. It was happening in Windows and Mac, different versions of each. Different versions of the HP software and the generic Mac and Windows drivers or programs for the printers. Nobody could get any help from HP. So an almost $400 MFP printer lasts just over a year, then it's ready for the recycle bin, along with hundreds of dollars worth of ink cartridges and a new $60 printhead.

So check back periodically and then you can figure out the true total cost of ownership. At about $600 a year, the HP Officejet 6500 didn't turn out so good. The only replacement I could find quickly that did what I needed was an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium. I've had it a few months now, and like the 6500, it's worked great so far. I'm waiting for the warranty to run out. I bought this one from COSTCO, though, so I can at least take it back when it dies and get something else.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users