• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Post your comments for iTunes 11: What's missing, what's changed here

#2 User is offline   bschreck 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

You say the column browser is "gone for the most part". Isn't that an overstatement when it can still be used by using the Songs view? Is there any missing column browser functionality because of this?

#3 User is offline   kirkmc 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

You say the column browser is "gone for the most part". Isn't that an overstatement when it can still be used by using the Songs view? Is there any missing column browser functionality because of this?

Well, yes. You can't use it in other views, and you can't use it at the left of the content, only on the top.
Macworld Senior Contributor - Macworld's iTunes Guy - Editor of Mac OS X Hints
Read my blog Kirkville, writings about more than just Macs. Twitter: @mcelhearn
My latest book: Take Control of iTunes 10: The FAQ

#4 User is offline   baronvoncruzer 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Okay, the feature I'm missing right now are Playlist Windows.

#5 User is offline   cheese7007 

• Pip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

The function I miss is the capability DJ had to allow others with an iPhone to use the remote app to select music and vote to move items up the list. This was great for parties. I hope a similar function is added to Up Next.

#6 User is offline   ksinger 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I listen to a lot of podcasts and really like the feature that allows you to just view unplayed. However, I delete most podcasts after listening to them. It is a major annoyance that I have to switch to another view and run through my list to find and delete the podcasts I don't wish to save. There are some I want to keep, so I don't want to set iTunes to automatically delete after listening. Any suggestions for a work-around to easily locate the podcasts I recently listened to after they disappear from the unplayed list?

#7 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

View Postksinger, on 19 December 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

I listen to a lot of podcasts and really like the feature that allows you to just view unplayed. However, I delete most podcasts after listening to them. It is a major annoyance that I have to switch to another view and run through my list to find and delete the podcasts I don't wish to save. There are some I want to keep, so I don't want to set iTunes to automatically delete after listening. Any suggestions for a work-around to easily locate the podcasts I recently listened to after they disappear from the unplayed list?

Do they show up in the history? (It's accessed via the "Up Next" icon in the now playing display and then clicking on the clock icon.)

#8 User is offline   Jimtowner 

• Pip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

I don't care for the new iTunes. It may be that things I am familiar with are not missing but moved. Regardless, it's not a big problem because iTunes is mainly relegated to using the setup for my iPad and iPhone from time to time. Spotify is my music source of choice.

#9 User is offline   brucknerdoc 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Despite the authors comment, reverting to iTunes is quite simple. The procedure is redundantly detailed on the Apple discussion boards. You'll need to remove the installed v11 (using an app like CleanApp), an installer download for the previous v10.7 (several people have posted their copies online), and your old iTunes library (usually in your "previous" folder, or backup). I gave v11 a go for about a week before reverting - and have had no problems whatsoever.

#10 User is offline   DarthAmbiguous 

• Pip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

I've sent feedback to the iTunes team, but wondered if this has happened to you ...

Random tracks I've purchased from iTunes have had their play counts reset to zero, yet still register a "last played" date.

This is exceptionally annoying for all the playlists I have based on playcounts, but I just hope it's not a symptom of a bigger issue.

Is this being reported a lot? Is there an easy fix? I tried restoring, but it did no good.

#11 User is offline   firedune9j2g 

• Pip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

See discussion about iTunes DJ at Apple Forum:
https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

Send message to Apple asking them to bring back iTunes DJ and/or Cover Flow:
http://www.apple.com.../itunesapp.html

#12 User is offline   mrlucasbrice 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

iTunes 11 is a freaking disaster. There are no new useful features and the interface is now more confusing and difficult to use.

#13 User is offline   verbpronoun 

• Pip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

It's still possible to create a shuffled playlist that will sync to an idevice in the random order. It just takes a few more steps. First you need to create a regular playlist, say "playlist 1", put the music in there you want. Then create a smart playlist, say "playlist 2", and tell it to grab the tunes from playlist 1 in a random order. Finally, drag the smart playlist onto a blank playlist, and sync that list to the device. Everything will be like it used to be when all we had to do was press a button. Thanks for making things easier Apple.

#14 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

View Postverbpronoun, on 20 December 2012 - 06:32 AM, said:

It's still possible to create a shuffled playlist that will sync to an idevice in the random order. It just takes a few more steps. First you need to create a regular playlist, say "playlist 1", put the music in there you want. Then create a smart playlist, say "playlist 2", and tell it to grab the tunes from playlist 1 in a random order. Finally, drag the smart playlist onto a blank playlist, and sync that list to the device. Everything will be like it used to be when all we had to do was press a button. Thanks for making things easier Apple.

What's the benefit of syncing a shuffled playlist instead of just having the iDevice shuffle itself?

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users