Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Wirelessly browse your Mac's files from your iOS device - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wirelessly browse your Mac's files from your iOS device

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

Post your comments for Wirelessly browse your Mac's files from your iOS device here

#2 User is offline   jeremybechtold 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

Great tip! with a couple iPhones, an iPad, and several macs in our household, this is a no-brainer to set up. However, my sister (who does not live with us) has an older eMac max'd out with 10.5.x... I don't have easy access to her machine, but I'd love to be able to set this up for her as well so she could use Pages and other apps for her Word docs and the too-oft occurrence of her screen blacking out. Since I don't have easy access, might you have a 10.5 system in the Macworld office which you could test this method on as well and let me know if it would work on it? Please?

#3 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

I wish Apple would include Back To My Mac in iOS - so I could access my files from anywhere.

#4 User is offline   Coolnevaun 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Can I pass the file back to the Mac volume I took the file from originally using this app when I'm done?

#5 User is offline   bigpics 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

I'm interested in Coolnevaun's question too. And have another:

Since it uses a Windows-based sharing protocol will it also work with files on Windows computers (and specifically, if anyone knows, which versions of Windows)??

[I've read endlessly about iOS since it began, but have never really worked with it. And when friends I've long supported on Win and Mac shove one in my hands for help, I too find the at least apparent lack of "under the hood" access to files and functions - my working method for the last 25 years - very frustrating.

This video at least did clear up a few things. But direct access to PC files would be a godsend for my friends - and me when I finally bite on the newer Apple.....]

#6 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Can I pass the file back to the Mac volume I took the file from originally using this app when I'm done?

You can connect to Win XP and Win7, Macs, NAS, Time Capsule, USB to iTunes, Drop Box, and Open In to share with other apps.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#7 User is offline   sdebode 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Another benefit being, if you have an ethernet connection to your mac, you can wirelessly share the connection to you iPhone/iPad and browse the files just the same ... the only thing you need to ensure is that you use the name of the mac rather than the IP address (they change!)

#8 User is offline   KrasniOktabr 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

And why didn't the 'it just works' company add this ability from the get go?

#9 User is offline   duvel 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

"Watch the video to see how to put the two together. "

What video? Where?

#10 User is offline   DanFelixPierce 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have used this app to access shared folders on Windows servers at work.

I can move/copy files between folders on the server. I can e-mail them or open them in an installed app. There is no way to upload files like a picture to a folder on the server.

Still, it's a very handy way to review PDF drawings on the company server.

#11 User is offline   demani 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Files Connect can do about the same, and supports AFP. Has some interface glitches, but works well otherwise.

#12 User is offline   MrYmath 

• PipPip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

Couldn't connect, even with their tech support "guessing" what could be wrong. On the other hand, I found another app, Remote File Browser that effortlessly works great.

#13 User is offline   ANDubin 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have been trying to connect my iPad 2 using Stratospherix's FileBrowser to my MacBook Pro, which is using OS X version 10.8.2 all morning and haven't had any success. I tried to use their website, but it didn't help me. I have several screen shots but I can't display here. Is there difference place I can send them to you so you can see my set-up and tell me what I'm doing wrong? Arnold

#14 User is offline   Kenoodle 

• PipPip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Just a note about auto-downloading videos when the page is opened... There are still a few of us out here in the boondocks that do not have FIOS, or any other high speed Internet access. Please make video viewing selectable.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users