Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: MailMate 1.5 is no frills, all business when it comes to email - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: MailMate 1.5 is no frills, all business when it comes to email

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Post your comments for Review: MailMate 1.5 is no frills, all business when it comes to email here

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

If you "live and die by e-mail" the lack of POP3 and Exchange support could well be deal breakers.

#3 User is offline   stimarco 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

If you have multiple devices, POP3 is a very poor choice anyway.

Exchange support I can live without – it's a proprietary standard, not an open one – so this app is very, very interesting to me. I've had no end of problems with Mail (particularly its inability to quit when told to do so by a system Shutdown or Restart request, forcing me to sit there and wait for the damned thing to bugger off in its own sweet time).

I've also tried Postbox, but that's even worse, often silently failing to even _send_ emails. As someone who relies heavily on email for work, this is unacceptable.

And I care not one iota for pretty templates with cute puppies, or HTML in emails. I'm a plain text kind of guy.

#4 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Poststimarco, on 20 December 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

If you have multiple devices, POP3 is a very poor choice anyway.

Assuming it's a choice at all. Some providers don't offer IMAP. And, of course, some people don't have multiple devices, or at least don't use multiple devices for mail.

And I care not one iota for pretty templates with cute puppies, or HTML in emails. I'm a plain text kind of guy.

Ditto. I've got Mail configured to default to plain text for composition and viewing.

#5 User is offline   brilor 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'll trade eye-candy for functionality any day. Text labeled buttons are often( IMO) preferable to icons and other fluff whose function maybe not be immediately clear. The current trend to force users to search for partially hidden functionality is not necessarily progress ( again IMO ).

#6 User is offline   imwesley 

• PipPip

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

I've also tried Postbox, but that's even worse, often silently failing to even _send_ emails. As someone who relies heavily on email for work, this is unacceptable. And I care not one iota for pretty templates with cute puppies, or HTML in emails. I'm a plain text kind of guy.

Postbox is working wonderfully as an IMAP client for me. They only time I've had issues sending mail was during and after a VPN connection. Once I disconnected from the VPN and re-started Postbox the mail was sent instantly. I ditched Outlook for it and only wish I'd done it sooner.

#7 User is offline   vdonahue 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Has anyone found an email program to match Eudora's functionality? I know I'll have to give it up to go to Lion/Mountain Lion, but have been procrastinating because I love it so much. I've used it for 20 years and haven't found any other mail program that did everything it does for me.

#8 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

View Postvdonahue, on 30 January 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

Has anyone found an email program to match Eudora's functionality? I know I'll have to give it up to go to Lion/Mountain Lion, but have been procrastinating because I love it so much. I've used it for 20 years and haven't found any other mail program that did everything it does for me.

It's kind of hard to recommend a good replacement for a program when you don't identify which features or behaviors of that program you really are looking for. That said, you might consider this:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users