• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Perspective here

#2 User is offline   danmusician 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

I don't see how Lenovo could top anyone's list. Every laptop of theirs I've ever used felt like a cheap piece of garbage. The build quality reminds my of my PowerBook 190, not a high point in apple's history!

#3 User is offline   phdtop 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Macalope, Macalope.... You MUST write about news that broke just as you were posting: That Apple's share of the phone market in the United States has just exceeded 50%. Android is slowly losing, not winning, the market-share war. Please write about this instead of having a Merry Christmas, okay?

;)

#4 User is offline   StefN 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Profit? "Bahhhh humbug! It's all about the stocks," say the new Scrooges on Wall Street, who go home at night, after a few, and dream of Amazon owning everything and they owning all of AMZN.

#5 User is offline   gplawhorn 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

Goundhog Day

#6 User is offline   Renderdog 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

Wow, you really knocked it out of the park with this article Macalope! Great entertaining writing, one of the best. You're hitting on all cylinders these days!

#7 User is offline   dannyo152 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Goundhog Day

Hmm. Doesn't quite feel right as the answer. I'll consider it again tomorrow.

#8 User is offline   lwdesign 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Intelligence is in a large part based on the ability to accurately observe one's environment. Intelligence goes down to the degree that observation fades and opinion takes over. Eventually intelligence reduces to the point that the only job available for these poor souls is becoming a pundit, where opinion rules and observation and fact are merely inconvenient and disagreeable distractions that get kicked to the curb.

#9 User is offline   artMonster 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

"One perspective that you can’t miss from tech pundits these days is on display like a red monkey posterior in this piece by VentureBeat’s John Koetsier."

Mr. Macalope, you caught the misspelling of Larry, but you missed this one. It's Keister. John Keister [sic]. Like the red monkey butt.

Happy Holidays, enjoy whatever it is Macalope's do this time of year.

#10 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

View Postphdtop, on 22 December 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

Macalope, Macalope.... You MUST write about news that broke just as you were posting: That Apple's share of the phone market in the United States has just exceeded 50%. Android is slowly losing, not winning, the market-share war. Please write about this instead of having a Merry Christmas, okay?

;)

The problem that too few people recognize is that the "market share war" is re-fought, from scratch, every 3 months.

#11 User is offline   pawhite524 

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

Intelligence is in a large part based on the ability to accurately observe one's environment. Intelligence goes down to the degree that observation fades and opinion takes over. Eventually intelligence reduces to the point that the only job available for these poor souls is becoming a pundit, where opinion rules and observation and fact are merely inconvenient and disagreeable distractions that get kicked to the curb.

Kudos! I had the same thoughts but mine would have read like a dissertations. And Kudos again for making this point so potently and concisely!

#12 User is offline   michaelant 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Great column. Loved every entry. Macalope in fine form this weekend!

(and Macworld, I shouldn't have to switch from Safari to Chrome to post a comment. Keep your web dev on his toes a little bit!)

#13 User is offline   Mike56321 

• PipPip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Profit? "Bahhhh humbug! It's all about the stocks," say the new Scrooges on Wall Street...

Actually that is not new and it is true. It is a common misconception that the goal of a company should be profit. The goal of the company should be to build its value and therefore increase the wealth of its owners. Profit contributes to the value of the company but it does not always follow that increased profits lead to increased value. That value is reflected in part in the stock price.

Here's an extreme example. I can increase my profits in my company in a given year by decimating my maintenance budget thereby greatly reducing my costs while my revenues remain roughly the same. That year I may very well post "record profits". But any smart investor will start pulling out of my company because over the next few years my sales revenue will go down as my equipment breaks and I am unable to ship product.

On the other hand I may have reduced profits one year because I am retooling my plant for a new product line which will debut next year and can reasonable expect strong sales. In this case I have increased the value in my company despite the low profits or possibly a loss.

#14 User is offline   Dennistrator 

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Koetsier: "Steve Jobs was never afraid of changing his mind." So when you or other pundits say "Steve Jobs would never…" it doesn't really mean Anything, does it?
Merry Christmas to Mr. & Mrs. Macalope and the little cud-chewers!

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users