Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Macbook Pro: Late 2011 or Mid 2012? Please help - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Macbook Pro: Late 2011 or Mid 2012? Please help

#1 User is offline   esMan 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

Hi Fellow Mac Enthusiasts, I am in need of your suggestions and comments. I plan on upgrading to a 15 Inch Macbook Pro with in 2 weeks. I can't decide between the Late 2011 Macbook Pro and the Mid 2012 Macbook Pro. I am basically interested in hearing from present owners of either one these two models. I am interested in hearing about overall performance, graphics, speed, etc. Just overall user experience. Just pros and cons from everyday use. Particularly cons- overheating, loudness, etc.

Your feed back will be very well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

View PostesMan, on 24 December 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

Hi Fellow Mac Enthusiasts, I am in need of your suggestions and comments. I plan on upgrading to a 15 Inch Macbook Pro with in 2 weeks. I can't decide between the Late 2011 Macbook Pro and the Mid 2012 Macbook Pro. I am basically interested in hearing from present owners of either one these two models. I am interested in hearing about overall performance, graphics, speed, etc. Just overall user experience. Just pros and cons from everyday use. Particularly cons- overheating, loudness, etc.

Your feed back will be very well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have a non-retina mid-2012 MBP. It's not loud at all. It can get uncomfortably warm on your lap if you're doing computationally intensive things, such as certain demanding games. The performance is, to me, very nice but I keep my machines for years - this replaced a late 2006 Core 2 Duo MacBook - so I couldn't really say what any random person might experience or how it compares to the late 2011 model specifically.

My wife has the retina at work. It's very nice, although some older text manipulation tools (that aren't using modern text-drawing APIs) needed updates to work well with the high-res display. And it's not a trivial update for the programmers. BBEdit just got fixed for example; the rendering in the prior version was so bad she had to change fonts to get something acceptable for the last few months.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users