Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Zorro Macsk gives the iMac a touchscreen interface - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Zorro Macsk gives the iMac a touchscreen interface

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

Post your comments for Review: Zorro Macsk gives the iMac a touchscreen interface here

#2 User is offline   bbh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

This 100% iMac device REQUIRES Windows to stay updated ?????? That seems to me to be indicative of a midst, a "windows bias" that will spell trouble later on.

Windows...really ??????

#3 User is offline   johnrf2 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I am wondering how awkward it is to combine the use of the touch panel with the keyboard. Usually you don't want to have your hands leave the mouse and keyboard to remain productive. Now you introduce a third action to the picture. Seems like a pure touch screen, aka a tablet, mode, or keyboard/mouse mode, but independently, not simultaneously.

#4 User is offline   rloyola 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

This 100% iMac device REQUIRES Windows to stay updated ??????...

A LuminaView rep told me today that a Mac-compatible updater is in the works and will be available soon.
------
Roman Loyola
Macworld Senior Editor

#5 User is offline   rloyola 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

I am wondering how awkward it is to combine the use of the touch panel with the keyboard....

It takes some adjustment. Many times, I found myself having one hand on the keyboard to use keyboard shortcuts instead of the on-screen buttons, such as Command -W to close a window, the arrow buttons to scroll.

You do end up being..."more active," I guess...because you're reaching back and forth between the screen and the keyboard and mouse. And I can see that it could be disruptive to someone who is very fast with typing and their input device.
------
Roman Loyola
Macworld Senior Editor

#6 User is offline   britographer 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Requiring a non-native OS support for a firmware upgrade is ridiculous. This product is obviously not ready for prime time, but shows where we may be in a few years down the road. In the work I do there are times where a touch screen interface would be useful, and others where it would just be in the way (relating to current software builds of Photoshop, InDesign, etc.)...

#7 User is offline   my2cents 

• PipPip

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just great, bring Windows junk to a beautifully designed iMac. Not only it's ugly, I can just imaging how tiring it would be lefting your arm to navigate on the touch screen 8 hours a day at work. These Windows people are morons!

#8 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Roman, when you wrote "... five-finger swipes for switching desktops, opening Mission Control, or opening Exposé." I'm pretty sure you meant to say FOUR-FINGER, NOT FIVE.

"Other finger gestures include two-finger swipes for scrolling vertically or horizontally, three-finger swipes up or down for minimizing or maximizing a window, three-finger swipes left or right to go back or forward pages in Safari, five-finger swipes for switching desktops, opening Mission Control, or opening Exposé."

You seemed to have lost count. ;-)

#9 User is offline   greebo 

• Pip

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

Could be a good idea I guess, but who wants to hold their hand up in the air all the time? Touch works on handhelds, not on desktops; if touch was what we wanted, Apple would have built it.

#10 User is offline   AppleFan1 

• Pip

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm still trying to figure out why I would need a touch screen iMac. i currently own a 27 inch 2012 iMac and i sit a little more than a full arms length away from the unit. I use a trackpad and gesture mouse, so I'm trying to think of when I would actually need to touch the screen and get my fingerprints on it? Sorry, but I think the ONLY people that NEED touch screen are smartphones, tablets, and kiosks or a touch screen inside a car (which might be replaced down the road with an iPad since Automakers might be more inclined to integrate an iPad device). Think of how many Mercedes, BMW, and several other premium auto makers might do in the future. If i were a big auto maker, I would be investigating throwing in a Cellular version iPad mini in the front dashboard and then in the headrests for the people in the rear seats. But other than that, I see no real reason to have a touchscreen display. I think it's a novelty.

I could see it in a presentation TV that's used in conference rooms and small class rooms, but not for a desktop display. Even laptop displays it doesn't make much sense, ergonomically speaking.

#11 User is offline   samhuff 

• PipPip

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

It's for people who want to run Windows 8 on their Mac with the touch interface. So the Windows only updater is not a problem.

#12 User is offline   Brycestq7 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

The whole idea of making everything a touchscreen is insane. I used a Windows touch screen (not 8) and it was terrible slow and usually didn't click what I wanted. I really don't want fingerprints or grease marks or anything else on my screens. It annoys me on the iPads. I certainly don't want it on a larger screen. You have to move from one end to the other, yet with a mouse and a keyboard I only have move a small amount to hit where I need to go and my screen doesn't look like it's infested with crap, streaks and dirt. It's much easier to clean the mouse than the entire screen and the mouse I don't have to look through all day long.

#13 User is offline   rloyola 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Roman, when you wrote "... five-finger swipes for switching desktops, opening Mission Control, or opening Exposé." I'm pretty sure you meant to say FOUR-FINGER, NOT FIVE.

Nope. It's five, or as LuminaView calls it, one hand.

http://www.lumiaview...35&contentid=54
------
Roman Loyola
Macworld Senior Editor

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users