Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iPhone 5 & iOS 6.0.2 Still has bluetooth connection issues - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iPhone 5 & iOS 6.0.2 Still has bluetooth connection issues Iphone 5 will not allow received calls when sync'd via bluetooth

#1 User is offline   goodbiker 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I have an iPhone 5 (my first iPhone!). As a subscriber to MacWorld I'd like to inform you of a problem many users are having with their iPhone 5's. Maybe MacWorld's 'clout' will make Apple pay attention and address this issue. The iPhone 5 has bluetooth problems that are affecting its user's ability to connect to their automotive/motorcycle phone services. It will usually sync but will not allow the user to answer calls via their cars/motorcycles bluetooth connection.

Go to the following for a 'better' explanation of what is happening... Thanks for taking the time to review...and hopefully report on this issue.

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0
Greg

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

View Postgoodbiker, on 29 December 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I have an iPhone 5 (my first iPhone!). As a subscriber to MacWorld I'd like to inform you of a problem many users are having with their iPhone 5's. Maybe MacWorld's 'clout' will make Apple pay attention and address this issue. The iPhone 5 has bluetooth problems that are affecting its user's ability to connect to their automotive/motorcycle phone services. It will usually sync but will not allow the user to answer calls via their cars/motorcycles bluetooth connection.

Go to the following for a 'better' explanation of what is happening... Thanks for taking the time to review...and hopefully report on this issue.

Greg

While it is certainly very possible that there is a problem with the Bluetooth in the iPhone 5, you do also need to see if the manufacturer of your Bluetooth device or car with Bluetooth system says they support the iPhone 5 with they system. Implementations of Bluetooth do change slightly with new phones sometimes and that may cause older Bluetooth devices to not work with newer phones.

As a case in point, my dad's Honda van worked fine with my Evo 4G (long since replaced with an iPhone 4S), but did not work with his Samsung Epic 4G. And this was indicated on the Honda page in terms of what phones were supported with the system in the van.

So, maybe Apple's implementation of Bluetooth in the iPhone 5 has enough changes that it caused some system to not work with it.

And yes, if this is the case, then this is another example of how supposed "standards" get screwed up by the "real world"...and it sucks.

And maybe this scenario has been covered in the thread you linked to on Apple's site, but I was not going to go through 20 pages of posts.

#3 User is offline   goodbiker 

• Pip

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

View Postsmax013, on 30 December 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

Greg

While it is certainly very possible that there is a problem with the Bluetooth in the iPhone 5, you do also need to see if the manufacturer of your Bluetooth device or car with Bluetooth system says they support the iPhone 5 with they system. Implementations of Bluetooth do change slightly with new phones sometimes and that may cause older Bluetooth devices to not work with newer phones.

As a case in point, my dad's Honda van worked fine with my Evo 4G (long since replaced with an iPhone 4S), but did not work with his Samsung Epic 4G. And this was indicated on the Honda page in terms of what phones were supported with the system in the van.

So, maybe Apple's implementation of Bluetooth in the iPhone 5 has enough changes that it caused some system to not work with it.

And yes, if this is the case, then this is another example of how supposed "standards" get screwed up by the "real world"...and it sucks.

And maybe this scenario has been covered in the thread you linked to on Apple's site, but I was not going to go through 20 pages of posts.

Good points... But with 20 pages of posts that point to as many different vehicles with connection issues. I would assume the problem is with the iPhone 5 bluetooth. But then again I just assumed that Bluetooth is Bluetooth!!! Thanks for your time and input.
G2

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

FWIW, I check three of the cars mentioned on the first page of that Apple thread...2010 Infiniti G37, a 2011 Nissan Maxima, and a 2012 Toyota Corolla.

Both the Infiniti and Nissan sites don't list the iPhone 5 as compatibile. The Toyota site lists the iPhone 5 as partially compatibile.

Now, of course, none of this say whether it is a problem with the iPhone 5 that only Apple can fix or if it is something that could be fixed with a firmware update for the Bluetooth system in the car.

The point is that Bluetooth calling (or audio streaming) requires TWO devices in order to function and thus it is possible that "fixing" EITHER of those devices might fix the problem.

As a case in point, my aftermarket Alpine radio in my car (did not originally come with Bluetooth) basically works fine. The one thing that does not work is the control of the Bluetooth audio streaming (supposedly I can at least go forward a song and back a song). After calling the Alpine dealer that installed it, Alpine is supposedly working on a firmware update that will be available in the next couple weeks. Apparently, iOS 6 "broke" the audio streaming function of my iPhone 4S with that particular Alpine radio.

So, check with manufacturer of your Bluetooth device and see if they might have a firmware update...or maybe working on an update.

#5 User is offline   goodbiker 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

View Postsmax013, on 30 December 2012 - 11:50 PM, said:

Greg

Why wouldn't a new phone have backword compatibility with bluetooth? When the phone was promoted I wasn't informed that the BLUETOOTH wouldn't work with certain systems. No disclosure on Apples part!

So this is consider progress? Come on, I'm talking BLUETOOTH. Not some new technology. Its been around. Its been improved, tweaked and upgraded. Is compatibilty with previous versions of bluetooth that big a deal? Shouldn't be!

YEs, thats true. It is requiring other companies to make their systems work with Apple. Is backward compatibilty that big of a problem?

Sucks? Yeah affecting perhaps thousands/?Millions of Apple customers. Apple hasnt offered a single word of acknowlegement.

Yes, its ALL been covered in the thread. But your too busy to investigate something that could be a major flaw in Apples product!!!!!!
Thanks for nothing.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users