Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rosetta in Mountain Lion Any way around this

#1 User is offline   blist 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Been all Mac since I purchased a Fat Mac. I remember getting my first hard drive; 20 megs. I thought my storage needs for life were now covered. Those were the days when the OS, application and files were all on the same floppy.

I typically have the latest hardware and OS. However, a niche market app specific to my profession (clinical psychology) which is the single most important app that I use requires Rosetta.

Is there anyway to run Rosetta on Mountain Lion? Parallels, etc. have the capacity to handle it, but Apple will not license a non-server copy so that two OSs can be run in different partitions.

So, I continue to run Snow Leopard. I'm not happy, but I know I am simply putting the inevitable on hold; what happens when I am forced to buy a new Mac.

Is there anything to do to run a Rosetta app?

(No, the developer is not upgrading this software for Mac.)

Thanks in advance.

Bill

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

View Postblist, on 01 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Been all Mac since I purchased a Fat Mac. I remember getting my first hard drive; 20 megs. I thought my storage needs for life were now covered. Those were the days when the OS, application and files were all on the same floppy.

I typically have the latest hardware and OS. However, a niche market app specific to my profession (clinical psychology) which is the single most important app that I use requires Rosetta.

Is there anyway to run Rosetta on Mountain Lion? Parallels, etc. have the capacity to handle it, but Apple will not license a non-server copy so that two OSs can be run in different partitions.

So, I continue to run Snow Leopard. I'm not happy, but I know I am simply putting the inevitable on hold; what happens when I am forced to buy a new Mac.

Is there anything to do to run a Rosetta app?

(No, the developer is not upgrading this software for Mac.)

Thanks in advance.

Bill

You're kind of out of luck.

The bad news is that Apple didn't own the core technology in Rosetta; they licensed it and the company that now owns it absolutely will not license it to run PowerPC code on an x86 architecture. So even if Apple wanted to carry Rosetta forward - which is nothing like a given - they're not really able to.

As long as your current hardware is sufficient to your needs, you can continue to run Snow Leopard for this program, either as your primary OS (with Lion or ML on a second partition/HD/virtualized environment) or as a secondary (which drops the virtualization option, as you're aware) when/if your other software needs a later OS. The problem arises when you are no longer able to find running hardware that's able to run Snow Leopard.

If this application is critical to you in your profession, it strikes me as kind of strange that - by implication - there's no viable alternative you could move to whose developer is willing to make the effort to rebuild for a newer architecture. Not knowing the program or what it does I can't be sure this really would be nothing more than a rebuild/retest and no significant coding, but I consider it likely. Out of curiosity, what is the program?

#3 User is offline   MichaelLAX 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

View Postbastion, on 07 January 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

You're kind of out of luck.

Luck has nothing to do with it!

Here is a recent post I assembled for a similar question:

Unfortunately you got caught up in the minor miracle of Rosetta. Originally licensed by Apple when it migrated from the PowerPC CPU platform that it had used from the mid-1990's until the Intel CPU platform in 2006, Rosetta allowed Mac users to continue to use their library of PPC software transparently in emulation.

However, Apple's license to continue to use this technology expired with new releases of OS X commencing with Lion (and now Mountain Lion). While educational efforts have been made over the last 6 years, the fact is that Rosetta was SO successful that many users were caught unaware UNTIL they upgraded to Lion or Mountain Lion.

Workarounds:

1. If your Mac will support it, restore OS X Snow Leopard;

2. If your Mac will support it, partition your hard drive or add an external hard drive and install Snow Leopard into it and use the "dual-boot" method to choose between your PowerPC software or Lion/Mt. Lion;

3. Upgrade your software to Intel compatible versions if they are available, or find alternative software that will open, modify and save your data files;

4. Install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels:

Posted Image

Full Snow Leopard installation instructions here:

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1365439

NOTE: Computer games with complex, 3D or fast motion graphics make not work well or at all in virtualization.

#4 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

As the other replies suggest, I have a similar problem and chose to use Super Duper to clone my SL system with the 'old' software to an external drive. Then, when I need to use the old software, I re-boot into the SL system. Otherwise, I use ML on my regular internal drive.

If you have to access your clinical psychology software on a regular basis, this solution is cumbersome at best. But, it works for me.

Bob.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users