Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sick Mac OS 10

#1 User is offline   zaner 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

My Mac OS X 10.5.8 has been sick for a long time. The $$%^& beach ball keeps popping up, and I have to restart the thing. Again. and again. And again. The stupid automatic data saver can't be found. Please advise how & where I can find someone to fix this stupid thing.

#2 User is offline   EGM 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

wWelcome to the MacWorld forums, and you have my sympathy over your problem. If I might make a few suggestions:

1. Post it in a better place. This forum is titled "Macworld feedback." It's for feedback about the magazine and the site. There are other forums where people who can help you with your problem are more likely to see it. It's always a good idea to read enough of the existing posts in a forum to get a feel for it before posting in it.

2. Give us more information about the problem. No matter how you feel, the word "stupid" does not help people who read your post.

3. Tell us where you are. My suggestion for a good place to get help in southeastern Massachusetts would be totally useless if you're in Los Angeles or Sydney.

Good luck!

#3 User is offline   zaner 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

1. Could you please suggest a few preferable sites?

2. More information about the problem: The beach ball pops up at random times. ranging from about one minute to about 15 minutes. The machine does not respond to anything thereafter except the turn-off switch. The machine often displays an absurd, scrambled picture when left alone for a while (15 min. to several hours). The machine is often extremely slow to fully open. I have removed every non-essential thing from it that I can think of. I have run several down-loadable "fix-it-up" programs without result. I have been able to fix every computer problem (mostly with Windows operating systems) since 1989. But not this one.

3. Tell us where you are: Panama City, Fla.

I appreciate your efforts to fix this problem.

#4 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

View Postzaner, on 07 January 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

1. Could you please suggest a few preferable sites?

2. More information about the problem: The beach ball pops up at random times. ranging from about one minute to about 15 minutes. The machine does not respond to anything thereafter except the turn-off switch. The machine often displays an absurd, scrambled picture when left alone for a while (15 min. to several hours). The machine is often extremely slow to fully open. I have removed every non-essential thing from it that I can think of. I have run several down-loadable "fix-it-up" programs without result. I have been able to fix every computer problem (mostly with Windows operating systems) since 1989. But not this one.

3. Tell us where you are: Panama City, Fla.

I appreciate your efforts to fix this problem.

Looks like one of the moderators moved it to a more appropriate forum.

The symptoms sound like a failing hard drive. Normally the pinwheel is fairly selective, only showing up over the window(s) of the application(s) having difficulty and usually you'd see it in response to user activity. Spontaneous and wide-spread appearance though is consistent with unreliable storage.

#5 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

First things first.

Copy your personal data to an external drive as soon as possible. Even if you have to do it in 15 min segments.

Which Mac do you have? Model. Year. Upgrades. Is the OS the original install with the system or upgraded.

I'd equate the scrambled picture after a certain amount of time a hardware issue in the graphics dept (card or chipset), possibly due to overheating. Whether a connection is failing or something is no longer getting cooled.

Random beach ball ... seems like the system is getting hung up on accessing or executing something.

How full is your hard drive? Used space / free space.

Check the hard drive smart status.

Either through Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility - click on the drive in the upper left, read smart status on the bottom or click info and see the popup - or use a 3rd party app like http://www.macworld....artutility.html

Any particular application that you are running when it gets hung up?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users