Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Automatically mount an AirPort-attached USB drive - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatically mount an AirPort-attached USB drive

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Post your comments for Automatically mount an AirPort-attached USB drive here

#2 User is offline   colsang1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the tip Chris...Is it safe/advisable to setup my time machine hard drive this way so I can backup my stuff without being physically connected?

#3 User is offline   wakayama 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

another way that has never let me down requires an extra step over the above;
Drag the icon of the volume you want to mount to the desktop - this alone should create a simple alias of the volume, or you could do the cmd-alt-drag to nail it in one.
Then, drag *this* alias to the login items of the accounts pane.
This has worked for me across all OSs since 10.3 for me, up to and including ML. My theory (and it is just that) is that it uses the finder to open the *file* of the volume (the alias) one the finder is good and ready, rather than trying to access the network before everything has settled down.
I suppose an applescript to mount the volume with a delay command in it would do the trick too, but aliases are simple, and I like simple.
Anyhoo, cheers Chris for the many, many years of tips and advice - long may they continue.

#4 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postwakayama, on 07 January 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

another way that has never let me down requires an extra step over the above;
Drag the icon of the volume you want to mount to the desktop - this alone should create a simple alias of the volume, or you could do the cmd-alt-drag to nail it in one.
Then, drag *this* alias to the login items of the accounts pane.
This has worked for me across all OSs since 10.3 for me, up to and including ML. My theory (and it is just that) is that it uses the finder to open the *file* of the volume (the alias) one the finder is good and ready, rather than trying to access the network before everything has settled down.
I suppose an applescript to mount the volume with a delay command in it would do the trick too, but aliases are simple, and I like simple.
Anyhoo, cheers Chris for the many, many years of tips and advice - long may they continue.

Nice idea. I'll give it a try!

#5 User is offline   darkonturas 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Unless it doesn’t.

And I offer these words of weasel because there are times when this doesn’t work. And I honestly haven’t a clue why.

According to the guys at AppleCare, this is because the techniques relies on Bonjour services, and Bonjour is inherently unreliable. Largely because it is a low priority service. Basically the OS keeps ignoring it until it has nothing better to do, which can happen up to a half hour after boot.

By using a method that utilizes the IP address of the remote volume, the system can blindly go out and link to it as soon as network services are online and it receives its own IP address from the DHCP server.

#6 User is offline   kiwigm 

• Pip

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I've used BonjourMounter in the past which seemed a decent way of keeping network disks mounted. Not sure if it's still a happening/compatible thing?

#7 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

View Postdarkonturas, on 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Unless it doesn’t.

And I offer these words of weasel because there are times when this doesn’t work. And I honestly haven’t a clue why.

According to the guys at AppleCare, this is because the techniques relies on Bonjour services, and Bonjour is inherently unreliable. Largely because it is a low priority service. Basically the OS keeps ignoring it until it has nothing better to do, which can happen up to a half hour after boot.

By using a method that utilizes the IP address of the remote volume, the system can blindly go out and link to it as soon as network services are online and it receives its own IP address from the DHCP server.

Ah ha! Thanks for the info.

#8 User is offline   drdreric 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the tip Chris...Is it safe/advisable to setup my time machine hard drive this way so I can backup my stuff without being physically connected?

Chris - this is a very important question to at least a few of us. Apple's trust in Time Capsule over Airport Express disks for Time Machine backups is very baffling. Any way to make use of an Airport USB disk for Time Machine a bullet proof option?

#9 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

View Postdrdreric, on 08 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Chris - this is a very important question to at least a few of us. Apple's trust in Time Capsule over Airport Express disks for Time Machine backups is very baffling. Any way to make use of an Airport USB disk for Time Machine a bullet proof option?

It's a configuration unsupported by Apple. Given that and how important a reliable backup is, I'd find another way.

#10 User is offline   cmfleming 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

Chris,
Anyone else who can help,

I have an imac and I use an airport espress router. I've connected an external hard drive (Seagate) but I cannot see it in the finder or connect to it. Incidentally, should I be able to see the router in the finder as well? I don't.

I have been trying to make this work for months now. I just tried your method. I don't see the base station in the side bar so I cannot go any further.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks - cmfleming

#11 User is offline   cmfleming 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Correction to post above, router is an airport extreme.

#12 User is offline   cnebrandt 

• Pip

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

Wow, I can't tell you how long I have been trying to solve this problem. But I'm not quite there yet.

I am trying to automatically mount at login and remount often my shares on a drobo 5N attached to a time capsule so that my crashplan and Superduper backups work. This solution does mount both shares just fine but I think that what is working at login is the the first suggestion of just dragging the share names to the login list. I also have the automator application set up to run at login, but it hangs waiting for me to "select the volumes to mount". This is fine at login since I am sitting in front of the computer. The big problem is that these shares don't stay mounted on my macbook air so the backups don't run. So I created a similar automator calendar item but that has the same problem. When it runs it waits for me to "select the volumes to mount".

Is there an automator action I can use to select a particular share and click "ok"?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users