• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:10 AM

Post your comments for How to set up iCloud here

#2 User is offline   TorontoWireless 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

10 iCloud account is not enough for a family on one account. I have 4 iPhones, 3 iPads, 1 iPad Mini, 1 iPod Touch, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac and I am now in the process of getting 2 more iPad mini's and I am over the limit and cannot sync my icloud account or itunes match, verry disappointed in Apple, they want us to buy in to their ecosystem but at the same time limit us

#3 User is offline   chapy 

• Pip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

One normally uses only one iCloud account on multiple devices to allow syncing to those devices. I have 3 devices (iPhone, iPad & MacBook Pro) and use one iCloud account to sync across all three devices. Multiple iCloud accounts probably only make sense in a business and a home setting which would require 2 iCloud accounts to keep the device syncing separate for business and home. In that case, specific devices would be dedicated to just business and others just for home. The syncing would not cross the business / home boundaries. Unless you have more than 9 businesses, it is not clear why you would ever need more than 10 iCloud accounts.

#4 User is offline   TheBum 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I found one gotcha with Apple IDs related to iMessage: if you have a separate Apple IDs for purchases and iCloud and you want to use an e-mail address in iMessage, it must *not* be the contact e-mail address associated with the purchase Apple ID. I could never get iMessage to work between my devices until I changed the purchase Apple ID's contact address from my primary address to one I don't normally use, which freed up my primary address for use by iMessage. Before doing that, every time I tried to add the address to iMessage, I got an "address already in use" error.

This post has been edited by TheBum: 08 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

#5 User is offline   fjpoblam 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

A gotcha with iCloud. Say you decide (as we did) that you need more than one iCloud account. (Why? In our case it was because mi esposa has a set of Contacts and Bookmarks different from mine: she's a gardener and I'm a techie. We don't wish to share.) We started with one, then decided to split. Upon trying to disconnect one we found it to be a "destructive" disconnect: iCloud destroys data connected with the associated account on the disconnecting device. Mi esposa's Contacts and Bookmarks? Poof! (Fortunately, we had backups.) Have backups, or export a copy first, before swapping an appleid! Important!!

#6 User is offline   fjpoblam 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

(Oh, and also keep in mind, your appleid for iCloud need not be the same as your appleid for iTunes): I still share iTunes purchases with mi esposa.

#7 User is offline   alanskyone 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

The author doesn't mention that when you set up an existing iCloud account on a new computer and turn on Calendars, for example, iCloud offers to "merge" your computer's calendar data with iCloud's calendar data. Fine—except that what actually happens is that the calendars on your Mac will be replaced with whatever out-dated version of your calendars were already sitting on the iCloud server. This is a shocking glitch that no one talks about and that Apple has not addressed. With one click, all your calendar data can be wiped out.

#8 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

The author doesn't mention that when you set up an existing iCloud account on a new computer and turn on Calendars, for example, iCloud offers to "merge" your computer's calendar data with iCloud's calendar data. Fine—except that what actually happens is that the calendars on your Mac will be replaced with whatever out-dated version of your calendars were already sitting on the iCloud server. This is a shocking glitch that no one talks about and that Apple has not addressed. With one click, all your calendar data can be wiped out.

Huh. I've never seen merge destroy newer calendar data with old data before, but I believe it. Sync services can do some wacky things if the things you're trying to sync have the same name. (In that situation, I might recommend making sure your Mac's calendars are named differently than your iCloud calendars.)

#9 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

A gotcha with iCloud. Say you decide (as we did) that you need more than one iCloud account. (Why? In our case it was because mi esposa has a set of Contacts and Bookmarks different from mine: she's a gardener and I'm a techie. We don't wish to share.) We started with one, then decided to split. Upon trying to disconnect one we found it to be a "destructive" disconnect: iCloud destroys data connected with the associated account on the disconnecting device. Mi esposa's Contacts and Bookmarks? Poof! (Fortunately, we had backups.) Have backups, or export a copy first, before swapping an appleid! Important!!

Hmmm. Usually I've seen it blink an alert -- "Do you want to remove the [kind] data associated with iCloud or keep it?" -- but that is very odd. This is why it's good to always have backups!

#10 User is offline   tadaka8 

• Pip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

great article!

i have a bunch of notes that are on my phone from before setting up icloud notes. Is there a way that I can import all these files into icloud without having to copy/paste them all into new documents or synching to a computer?

#11 User is online   Harfam 

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I have two applie IDs. Is there anyway that I can combine them into one apple iD?

#12 User is offline   garcia4567a 

• Pip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I don't find it amusing or funny that you mix your languages. It's because of people like you I have to spend twice as much time in the USA go get thru message trees and have to read spanish language signs. If it's your wife, call her your wife. In regards to your comment about destroying data, you are correct, it will ERASE all data it THINKS doesn't belong to you as I've had it happen when I mistakenly had two accounts. The ability for them to ERASE ANYTHING on my device should be a crime.

#13 User is offline   fibercut 

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I have two applie IDs. Is there anyway that I can combine them into one apple iD?

Contact Apple ID support and ask about merging the the two iCloud accounts. You will have to verify with a person at Apple and give them information & verifications.
Cutting fiber for everyones need

#14 User is offline   bookmanjb 

• Pip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

A gotcha with iCloud. Say you decide (as we did) that you need more than one iCloud account. (Why? In our case it was because mi esposa has a set of Contacts and Bookmarks different from mine: she's a gardener and I'm a techie. We don't wish to share.) We started with one, then decided to split. Upon trying to disconnect one we found it to be a "destructive" disconnect: iCloud destroys data connected with the associated account on the disconnecting device. Mi esposa's Contacts and Bookmarks? Poof! (Fortunately, we had backups.) Have backups, or export a copy first, before swapping an appleid! Important!! I don't find it amusing or funny that you mix your languages. It's because of people like you I have to spend twice as much time in the USA go get thru message trees and have to read spanish language signs. If it's your wife, call her your wife.

Auf Deutsch, bist du ein echtes Arschloch.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users