• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Post your comments for Why I avoid iOS piracy here

#2 User is offline   PeterGuidry 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Almost a moot point considering that only Jailbreak iPhones can load pirate apps and the jailbreak crowd is a tiny minority of users.

If there is any platform people shouldn't waste their time whining about piracy, it is iOS.

#3 User is offline   KrasniOktabr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

If there is any platform people shouldn't waste their time whining about piracy, it is iOS.

I didn't read anything that remotely sounded like whining.

#4 User is offline   patriotusa 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

I agree with Peter that worrying about piracy on jailbroken iPhones is a waste of time. The very nature of the platform is resistant to this issue and the average user of an iPhone/iPad is not technically sophisticated enough to even attempt such a thing even if they wanted to.

An issue that is far more relevant to the platform is the fact that there is no requirement from Apple that developers provide a "lite" or trial version of their app for users to try before they buy. For the vast majority of apps this means users must simply purchase and hope that 1)The app functions as promised, and 2) The app actually meets their needs or expectations. Apple could do their users a favor and copy Microsoft's approach to their Xbox Live Arcade titles, which have a requirement for there to be a demo or trial version available.

I think there are a lot of unscrupulous developers who take advantage of the fact there is no trial app requirement in hopes of making a quick buck off third-rate software propped up by fake reviews in the App Store. And while I realize that the low-price of most apps means that I may not be out much money if I buy an one useless app, cumulatively this can be a big problem. Also, out of principle no one likes being ripped off, no matter how small the amount.

#5 User is offline   hinkelman 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I have been burned more than once purchasing an app before I could try it, and finding it inappropriate for my needs or somehow, just not quite right. It is very frustrating. I feel ripped off.

#6 User is offline   Lawdoctor40 

• Pip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Almost a moot point considering that only Jailbreak iPhones can load pirate apps and the jailbreak crowd is a tiny minority of users. If there is any platform people shouldn't waste their time whining about piracy, it is iOS.

You read and commented on an article that, in your SUBJECTIVE opinion, is time wasting. Ironic.

#7 User is offline   blecch 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

View Posthinkelman, on 08 January 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

I have been burned more than once purchasing an app before I could try it, and finding it inappropriate for my needs or somehow, just not quite right. It is very frustrating. I feel ripped off.

When that happens, I usually request a refund using the "report a problem" feature in iTunes. I've requested (and received) refunds for about 5 apps so far.

#8 User is offline   blecch 

• PipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

View Postpatriotusa, on 08 January 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I agree with Peter that worrying about piracy on jailbroken iPhones is a waste of time. The very nature of the platform is resistant to this issue and the average user of an iPhone/iPad is not technically sophisticated enough to even attempt such a thing even if they wanted to.

An issue that is far more relevant to the platform is the fact that there is no requirement from Apple that developers provide a "lite" or trial version of their app for users to try before they buy. For the vast majority of apps this means users must simply purchase and hope that 1)The app functions as promised, and 2) The app actually meets their needs or expectations. Apple could do their users a favor and copy Microsoft's approach to their Xbox Live Arcade titles, which have a requirement for there to be a demo or trial version available.

I think there are a lot of unscrupulous developers who take advantage of the fact there is no trial app requirement in hopes of making a quick buck off third-rate software propped up by fake reviews in the App Store. And while I realize that the low-price of most apps means that I may not be out much money if I buy an one useless app, cumulatively this can be a big problem. Also, out of principle no one likes being ripped off, no matter how small the amount.

I agree - although you can request a refund, this wastes time which might be worth a lot more than the 99 cents you wasted on the app!

I'd be in favor of Apple providing an automated refund feature - but allowing up to 24 hours of use/testing rather than Google Play's paltry 15-minute time limit!!

#9 User is offline   johndrake 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

"proponents will continue to herald it as a form of populist protest against powerful and arrogant copyright lobbies.'
While this argument could possibly be made for the high priced full blown games, for the apps you can get in the App Store, especially those not from Apple, it comes out sounding a bit hollow and, well stupid. You pirate apps written by the small companies, that are mostly one or two person operations you're basically stealing from the very group to which you claim to belong.
AFWIW, IMNSHO piracy it outright theft, don't think so, ask the person that wrote the program, song, book etc..

#10 User is offline   johndrake 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

oops, should be "who wrote..."

#11 User is offline   singhparwinder 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I hate it when people relate Jailbreaking to iOS App piracy. Not even closely related. I understand that it's easier to pirate apps when iOS is jailbroken but the main purpose is completely different.

On a side note, there is a very perfect way of installing pirated apps on a non jailbroken iPhone. SOURCE: I have a iPhone 5 with over 400 apps. Bunch of them that I paid for (The ones that i use on everyday basis). A vast majority is pirated. And yep, the iPhone ain't jailbroken.

#12 User is offline   xfadel 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Unfortunately, this is not the case with iPhones, and I'm speaking from personal experience. Both of my teenage sons know how to - and have, at various times - jailbroken (and restored) their iPhones. While both are comfortable with Macs - and can help their teachers out in a pinch - neither of them would be identified as computer nerds, nor are their friends. Although jailbreaking is a technique that they could have learned about (and refined, had they cared) from online discussion, I'm pretty sure that the practice is something they discovered from their peers.

Again, the thrust of the article is compromising security when you jailbreak your phone.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users