Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Nectar brings fuel cell tech to the mobile charging game (video) - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nectar brings fuel cell tech to the mobile charging game (video)

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Post your comments for Nectar brings fuel cell tech to the mobile charging game (video) here

#2 User is offline   aestival 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:01 AM

No problem with the cost of the unit itself, but using a proprietary butane container is foolish (standards already exist), and charging $10 for a tiny container of butane is just extortion -- you can buy two *pounds* of butane in canisters for $10 from camping supply outlets, and it's cheaper still in bulk.

My best guess is that they couldn't design their fuel cell to work off of generic butane fuel, so they had to use their own canister, but in that case it's just a flawed design.

#3 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

View Postaestival, on 09 January 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

No problem with the cost of the unit itself, but using a proprietary butane container is foolish (standards already exist), and charging $10 for a tiny container of butane is just extortion -- you can buy two *pounds* of butane in canisters for $10 from camping supply outlets, and it's cheaper still in bulk.

My best guess is that they couldn't design their fuel cell to work off of generic butane fuel, so they had to use their own canister, but in that case it's just a flawed design.

Though I agree with you, let me play devil's advocate. The cost of the unit (though I'm certain it is quite profitable) is probably driven by the cost of the catalyst and membranes contained within. These can be readily "mucked up" by impure fuel (butane). For every "9" added to the purity of the fuel, the cost increases exponentially.

I would love to use this in the trunk of my car, keeping a few devices always "topped off" and ready to go. Would also be cool when used in conjunction with inductive charging (where applicable).
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#4 User is offline   TheBum 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

How long until Apple sues them for using the word "Pod" in their product name?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users