#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Post your comments for Thunderbolt cables get cheaper here

#2 User is offline   petermillard1 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Who needs a half-metre cable? A 2-metre cable I could use, or a 1-metre extension, but half-meter??

#3 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Who needs a half-metre cable? A 2-metre cable I could use, or a 1-metre extension, but half-meter??

I would prefer half-meter. When traveling with a MacBook and connecting external, portable storage, six feet gets terribly in the way.

#4 User is offline   Flexmeister 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

Uh, other people have different needs. I don't understand people who complain about additional options.

#5 User is offline   macmacmacmac 

• PipPip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

I'm going to predict that USB 3 super speed is going to be much more popular than Thunderbolt. Probably will even kill it off because of issues like this.

#6 User is offline   fribhey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm going to predict that USB 3 super speed is going to be much more popular than Thunderbolt. Probably will even kill it off because of issues like this.

if you think it's about speed then you clearly don't understand what Thunderbolt is:
http://www.macworld....ed_to_know.html

by the way, Thunderbolt is capable of speeds TWICE as fast as USB 3.0

#7 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postfribhey, on 10 January 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

if you think it's about speed then you clearly don't understand what Thunderbolt is:
http://www.macworld....ed_to_know.html

by the way, Thunderbolt is capable of speeds TWICE as fast as USB 3.0

"macmacmacmac" is half-right; USB 3.0 will be more popular, but it won't kill off Thunderbolt because, as you said, TB is not simply about speed.

#8 User is offline   HerbalEd 

• PipPip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Who?? Let's see ... thousands of people that aren't you?

#9 User is offline   samadore 

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

How do you reconcile the last paragraph of your post with this - "Pricing is also unknown, but given the more advanced active fiber technology in the cables, it's possible they could be significantly more expensive than current cables" - from the MacRumors post to which you link?

#10 User is offline   jedi228 

• PipPip

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

if you think it's about speed then you clearly don't understand what Thunderbolt is: http://www.macworld....ed_to_know.html by the way, Thunderbolt is capable of speeds TWICE as fast as USB 3.0

The speed of Thunderbolt is zero if you can't find a device that fits your needs. Thunderbolt has been out nearly 2 years now and there are only a handful of peripherals. The few that do exist are excessively expensive. Nobody sells a Thunderbolt drive enclosure. (because doing so would reveal how much markup there is) Meanwhile USB 3.0 is doing well because there are many options and reasonable prices.

BTW, I don't think Thunderbolt will truly die, but it can live in obscurity away from mainstream adoption for a long time.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users