Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Why some websites don't work properly in your favorite browser - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why some websites don't work properly in your favorite browser

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Post your comments for Why some websites don't work properly in your favorite browser here

#2 User is offline   tomeg 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

I agree with your suggestion when a given browser doesn't work go to Firefox. But then why is Firefox soooo sloooow. Could it be it's trying to be all things to all users and browsers?

FFx not all that long ago was much faster than now (I use FFx 18, always up-to-date.) If Camino were supported any longer I'd switch back to it immediately because it was streets ahead of FFx in speed and ease of use, GUI etc. Why do the good ones always eat it first, leaving the tried and true dinosaurs?

#3 User is offline   tatilsever 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

"...profound different differences..."

I take it they must be profoundly different... :)

#4 User is offline   Blap 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Opera mini does not use the iOS engine. It uses a custom engine based on Presto, the engine they use for the Opera browser.

Btw, you say that Chrome is rarely blocked/not supported, but it occurs to me nearly every day, way more than any other browser I tested (well I only didn't tested Safari in-depth)

#5 User is offline   lindro 

• Pip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

One problem is that I'm completely Mac-based and IE has no browser for Mac anymore. Sometimes my clients who use IE have glitches on a page and I can't see it. I usually ask them to take a screen shot and then determine what code might be improved. I test on Safari, Chrome, Opera and Firefox.

#6 User is offline   blecch 

• PipPip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

One problem is that I'm completely Mac-based and IE has no browser for Mac anymore. Sometimes my clients who use IE have glitches on a page and I can't see it. I usually ask them to take a screen shot and then determine what code might be improved. I test on Safari, Chrome, Opera and Firefox.

That's what Boot Camp is for I guess.... ;-p

#7 User is offline   MacTheWeb 

• PipPip

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Making websites without cross-browser testing is sloppy and unprofessional. IE on Windows is an essential browser to test for, as are Firefox, Chrome and Safari on both Mac and Windows. You can run Windows on any reasonably recent Mac. I use VMWare Fusion, but Bootcamp and Parallels Desktop all let you run Windows on your Mac. Or get a netbook. Thank goodness that we don't have to test for IE 6 anymore.

Now days, mobile Safari and Opera should be considered, too.

#8 User is offline   aaa1aaa 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I have great difficulty with Safari. Have not been able to download anything in eons. I fact, could not log in here to make comment. Had to use Firefox. (Am using Snow Leopard on a 2011 MacBook Pro. Can't give up some software.)

#9 User is offline   bdsds8lv 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Making websites without cross-browser testing is sloppy and unprofessional.

But given limited (or NO!) resources for cross-platform testing I am forced to make sure "it looks good on the boss's computer" first then everyone else second. even if they are using IE7 on XP SP3 and two javascripts behind. :-P

#10 User is offline   Tonymanx 

• PipPip

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have gotten angry at a few companies whose web site did not perform as it should when I was trying to purchase something. However, this article helps me understand that it is not a conspiracy specifically against me. Thank you!

#11 User is offline   maxglitz 

• Pip

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

I've been on a Mac since the late 80s. Few address the notion that much too often change for the sake of change alone keeps things difficult and stirred up. If they'd leave alone what works and change only what would improve things for all, we'd have it a lot easier. After this many years, I bet that'll never happen.

#12 User is offline   zigosystems 

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hi
I've got a website that works very well on a PC. (www.friendsuncut.co.uk). All it does is use 8 lines of vbscript to pageup/pagedown various htm pages.

Doesnt work at all on on Imac. Can you tell me why

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users